Thursday, March 11, 2021

SOLSC '21 Day Eleven: A piece of advice

 

I am participating in my ninth Slice of Life Story Challenge run by the team behind the Two Writing Teachers website.  We are challenged to write a blog post a day throughout the month of March.

A Slice by Fran Haley ("Elegant") has me thinking about children and choices.

My mother was not one to dole out advice for future use. I think she was a live-in-the-moment mom, there when you needed her with the advice needed at that time.

Or maybe I just remember her that way, because I lost her too soon to give me the advice I so sorely, desperately longed for as a young wife and mother.

She was ill for most of my first-born's infancy and toddlerhood, diagnosed six months after we brought our baby girl home from the NICU. She died nine months after they celebrated their shared birthday, my daughter's second and her fifty-first.  My mom was a loving, supportive grandmother, but so much of what we were going through as preemie parents we had to do alone, and she had her own terminal illness to endure.

Years before, when I was still in the classroom as a special education teacher, I remember discussing behavior management with my mother, including the giving of choices to help a student calm down.  My mother wasn't a trained teacher, but she vigorously agreed that offering choices was important, and told me a story from her own young parenting days.

She told me that when I was little, she would take me on shopping trips to buy patterns and material for the clothes she sewed for me.  I remembered the well-made clothes, but didn't recall the shopping trips.  My mother said she would pick out the patterns, then let me choose the fabric (with some guidance, of course).  She went on to say that her own mother chastised her for giving me a choice in the matter, to which she replied, "Children have so very little choice in their lives; it is okay to let my daughter have some control over this minor detail."

I also don't recall being a child prone to many temper tantrums.  I can only guess that her practice of allowing me some control in my tiny world may be the reason why.

As a teacher, I was keen on giving students choices, long before the term "choice board" was popular.  As a librarian, I am adamant about student agency in choosing the books they check out.  After many of my PreK through second grade read-alouds, I invite students to give me a thumbs up-sideways-down vote on the story, reminding them that it is okay if they don't like it--not every book is for every reader, and it's important to know themselves as readers.  They are in control of what books they like and don't like.

As parents, we gave our kids lots of those little choices.  They've grown up to be pretty good decision makers; I'd like to think that making those choices helped develop that skill.

When you truly think about it, children have so very little control over much of their lives--where they live, what's in the fridge, which teacher they get, what the temperature of the room is, how loud or bright their surroundings are.  Can you imagine those restrictions as an adult?  Much of our comfort and happiness comes from what we can control; children should be afforded that opportunity, too.  Even the smallest choices can go a long way in helping them feel safe, heard, and capable of decision-making.

Thanks, Mom, for the advice.

18 comments:

  1. This is such an important memory and topic. I agree with your mom's perspective on choices. As a teacher, I purposely gave students choices about writing paper and I KNOW it helped them to write more. I also gave my own children choices about what to wear (within limits) and what to read (even if it meant a full ear of Babysitter Club). It helped with SOME of the frustrations of being a child

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this reply, because it shows that choices given don't have to be time-consuming or costly. And they can be fun! I loved to give students choices about where they wanted to work in the classroom--and that was before the term "flexible seating" was a thing, lol.

      Delete
  2. This is such a lovely story about you and your mom, how advice gets sprinkled into the day to day of growing up. Choices are important and you were given some autonomy that made you who you are today. Your mother is with you always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. I love the line "advice gets sprinkled into the day to day of growing up", because that is exactly how my mom influenced me.

      Delete
  3. As a father to five daughters, I observed a lot of the mother-daughter relationships going on in our home and continuing on after our daughters were no longer little. I now see my wife so often in my daughters, it's wonderful. I also notice that with the choices they were given, they have developed in five very similar but so very different women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, our children are very different too, Alain, and not just because we have a daughter and son! It's interesting, isn't it, to see children from the same environment grow up to be their own unique selves! (And a little humbling, too, when one sees their faults passed down...)

      Delete
  4. This is a beautiful tribute to your mom. I agree that choices are so important, and her words are so wise. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. She was an amazing wife and mother; I hadn't thought of this story for years!

      Delete
  5. Your mother and you have a great point about the importance of giving children choices. You framed the lesson beautifully by talking about your own experience and by connecting that to the classroom/library options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! It's funny, because I never saw myself as a mother until I met my husband, so parenting wasn't something I often thought about. But I can attest that my teaching experience made me a better mother, and vice versa--along with my mother's wise advice.

      Delete
  6. This made me cry. I think about choice, voice and agency in our house and in our classrooms every day. Thank you for bringing your Mama alive for us. Loved imagining a little you shopping and choosing fabrics...XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawal, there were tears in my eyes as I wrote this, too, even though my mother has been gone for decades now, and the memories are becoming blurred. I was surprised this one popped up loud and clear for me. She was an amazing mom and military wife...

      Delete
  7. Your words... I was crying, reading this. So beautiful. Children have so few choices in life. So poignant. So true. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orval, I am glad my post was touching for you. My second-born truly reinforced the fact that children need choices, as we slowly unearthed sensory issues--that's where the temperature and noise and lighting details came in. We don't often think about how our choices affect our children in those regards.

      Delete
  8. Your mother was so wise, Chris ... so very wise. This is a beautiful post in tribute to her as well as to children, who need more advocates for their agency. It makes all the difference between compliance and meaningful learning, and in self-confidence and expression...So. My own mother was a seamstress. For years she made clothes at home for other people. I remember being dragged to many a fabric store and hiding in the racks, examining lace trims and feather boas, and patterns by Butterick, McCall's, Simplicity... I don't write about my mom much (I sometimes wonder if people notice this) but have thought about a short piece maybe for this challenge, along these lines. We'll see. In the meantime - I am moved that my post is connected to this one of yours, Chris. It's a gift on multiple levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, it's funny--I never really attributed the word "wise" to my mom. Not because she wasn't, but maybe because she was still so young in my eyes, and wisdom is so often paired with age. But now that you've made me think about it, she had so very much life experience, first as the social butterfly she was in her youth, then as the amazing military wife, managing households and children as we moved all around the world, often completely on her own as my dad was away on duty. I love that we share the memory of our mothers at the sewing machine. I inherited a sewing box (a plastic Caboodle, I think) of rickrack and zippers and bias tape, along with a box of patterns, along with her Sears sewing machine (as old as I am, I think) in a wooden cabinet. I may just get it serviced this summer, to blow off the dust and channel my mother's presence once again. I hope I get to read that post about your mother!

      Delete
  9. This beautifully attests to the idea about giving students choice that no professional book I've read has done. I get it, but this slice brings it to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, that is high praise coming from an amazing teacher-librarian; thank you! Choice is essential for fostering lifelong readers, for sure!

      Delete