Tuesday, March 8, 2022

SOLSC '22 Day Eight: Success is the best revenge

We are weeding the library collection at school.  Between the eagle eyes of my assistant and the list of books that haven't been checked out in ten or more years, our discard pile is growing.  This particular book sent my thoughts spiraling back thirty-six years.
I was in the "observation block" of my education degree plan, that quasi-student-teaching time when you observe a lot and teach a little.  I was taking a "methods of social studies" course with a professor who believed strongly in visual literacy and the use of pictures in teaching.  Nothing wrong with that, even by today's standards.

The assignment involved coming up with a picture that would help students recall the facts they needed to remember about their current unit.  I was observing in first grade with a fabulous teacher named Mrs. Henry.  They were learning about Austin with a bit of broader Texas history thrown in.

I used this book as the basis for my lesson.  I drew an armadillo wearing Texas-shaped sunglasses, floating on a raft down a colorful river accompanied by Stephen F. Austin.  I think I had the Texas flag flying from the raft, too.  There may have been a few other details in the picture relating to Austin and Texas...but hey, it's been thirty-six years.  I'm amazed I remember any of this at all.

The pictures were supposed to be triggers for facts:
State-shaped sunglasses="The Eyes of Texas", the UT Austin football song
Armadillo=state animal
Colorful river=Colorado River, which runs through the city
Stephen F. Austin=city's namesake
Flag=self-explanatory

My teacher loved it.  The first graders loved it.  The lesson was effective.  My professor gave me a C on the project.

That was one of several episodes of learning from education professors who hadn't seen the inside of an elementary classroom for decades.  After a few more similar experiences, including a disastrous student teaching semester, I almost quit and took another university up on the full-ride engineering scholarship they offered me.  A kind advisor talked me out of it, and wisely told me that things would be different once I got my own classroom.

I spent nine years in a special education setting with excellent evaluations.  I ran special ed meetings for eleven years.  And now, in my ninth year as a librarian, I get to promote visual literacy just like that professor did--honoring the work that teachers do with those images, and tuning in to what is effective.  Because what works is the bottom line--just ask the teachers and the students who are currently in the classroom.

10 comments:

  1. I am amazed that you stuck it out and to great advantage of your colleagues and students who you now serve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look back and think the same thing, Margaret...but I'm glad I did!

      Delete
  2. Why did the prof give you a C? I’m glad you stuck w/ education. Many don’t. Your story demonstrates why. It also sparks memories about why I earned my MA in English lit and not in education. You get to the heart of what’s wrong w/ many ed programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If memory serves me, Glenda, it was because the drawing was too cartoon-like and not realistic. I have to wonder if he's still around, and aware of the graphic novel boom....

      Delete
  3. This one book brought that lesson right back. What an experience, wow.

    Anyone not working in a classroom, but working in education, should be required to work a certain number of hours per year in the classroom with a teacher. It's so easy to "forget" how it really is. Being out of middle school for five years had that effect. I quickly remembered everything though.

    You are an amazing educator. I'm glad you stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alice, and I agree--they should spend time in the schools. I'm glad you're back in your element; they are lucky to have you!

      Delete
  4. When I went back to college to finally obtain a degree (which was originally theater arts, not education), my advisor told me that most education courses are "tests of endurance". I disliked many of them. Your long-ago professor reminds me of why: too many are out of touch, too far removed, knowing the books maybe but not the realities of connecting with real live kids in a classroom. All I can say is - God bless the advisors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad to read that my experience was not unusual, Fran...it's a wonder any of us stuck with it, then. And yes, the advisor was in the right place at the right time for me. Whew!

      Delete
  5. I think that's why my dad was so beloved by his students. He spent every day on a school campus, inside classrooms, with children. He HATED going up to UT and eventually moved his seminar to a building near the schools where his students teachers were. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dad was a wise professor indeed, Ginna. Makes me sad that we didn't cross paths during my time there.

      Delete