Tuesday, March 1, 2022

SOLSC '22 Day One: Blue skies

                                                                 
It was gray much of last week--driving to school in the dim, bland pre-dawn, coming home under equally dull skies.  Not that it mattered much; my library is quite literally at the heart of the building, surrounded by hallways with low ceilings bearing muted fluorescent bulbs, the only light source in the space.  I somewhat affectionately refer to my work domain as "the bomb shelter".  I wasn't upset when they moved my afternoon duty to the car rider line, providing me with some much needed fresh air and sunlight, no matter how muted.

But this Monday...the skies were a brilliant blue.  Driving into the sunrise for a meeting on another campus, I had to put on my sunglasses and lower my visor.  

We had an extended lunch break.  Some headed off to restaurants...I wasn't ready for that, haven't eaten inside a restaurant since March 2020.  I drove to a Chik-fil-a and bought a chicken strip meal with a diet Coke in the drive-thru.

My parking spot was still empty when I returned to the campus with an hour to spare.  Windows down, sunroof open...aaahhhh.  Just me and my waffle fries and bright blue skies.

6 comments:

  1. I live in the northeast, and I love all the daylight we are gaining back quickly! Oh what sunshine does for the soul! ....and getting away from the bomb shelter for a bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something magical in the bright blue sky in spring after several grey days. I am glad you had time to savour the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about those fluorescent lights we work under all day! I know that feeling of the damp dungeon meets bright lights and fresh air! FEELS SO GOOD! Looking forward to the change in seasons!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday's blue skies were gorgeous! "Just me and my waffle fries..." I love that line! Bummer we didn't get much time to chat though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A glorious blue sky, lifting the spirit immeasurably. It just seems to speak of infinite possibility, endurance, and hope. Gotta love this rhyme with waffle fries...a moment of bliss, for sure! Not to mention that blessed alone-time - I really, really love mine. It is precious. Here's to the daily challenge, my friend, and the gifts it brings.

    ReplyDelete