Friday, March 25, 2022

SOLSC '22 Day Twenty-five: You'd think I'd be sick

 

The stomach gets
what the stomach wants

tonight, it was
an onion sandwich--
two pieces of white bread
plenty of mayo
and thin slices of salted yellow onion

and chips
can't forget the chips

but that wasn't enough
so I shook some raisin bran
into a bowl
poured unsweetened almond milk
to soften the flakes
and crunched my way
through "Law and Order"

there is decent food in the fridge
leftover chicken and noodles
sliced bell peppers
cucumbers and sugar snap peas
lettuce ready for a salad
(but I had that for lunch)
hamburger patties
sweet corn and beans

there is decent food in the pantry
cans of soup
packages of ramen
pasta and rice
sauces and gravy
almonds and peanut butter
lentils and seasonings

but
the stomach gets
what the stomach wants
and tonight it wanted
an onion sandwich
chips and
raisin bran in almond milk.

This is the second time in a week I've had an onion sandwich for dinner.  It's a taste I inherited from my mother; I have to wonder if she's trying to tell me something...

And no, I didn't feel sick after this odd meal, though I don't know why.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your unusual food poem! I like how you contracted that onion sandwich+cereal with all the other options. Made for a stronger poem. I like how you repeated "the stomach gets what the stomach wants" Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “The stomach gets what the stomach wants” is reason enough to eat an onion sandwich, but w/out the hamburger it is weird. Still, I’ve seen onions in Jelli, so why not onions and bread. Love that you turned the weird meal into a poem

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me smile. My kids sometimes comment on my weird food combinations. I like to satisfy my cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this poem an utter delight to read though I will confess to being slightly horrified at an onion sandwich. I always pick the onions off a sandwich! But it did put me in mind of one of my mother's specialties: the condiment sandwich. White bread with ketchup, mayo, and mustard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a child, I hated the smell of onions and fussed when my parents had them on their food, which was often. My tastes changed somewhere along the way - after I was grown and home for a visit, my dad offered to pick up lunch from a locally-famous hole-in-the-wall burger joint and I ordered mine with onions. Mind you, this place piled 'em on. My dad's face was pure perplexion: "Are you the same kid who grew up in my house?" And I have to confess that I sometimes crave a cucumber sandwich; must have eaten a million of those as a kid. The simple things of long ago pull on us...especially those laced with love. Our inner selves know what we're really craving.

    ReplyDelete