Monday, March 7, 2022

SOLSC '22 Day Seven: Prying eyes

 

Since yesterday's post was about the trail cam, I thought a follow-up was in order.

On Sunday morning, my husband asked if I wanted the trail camera, aka "critter cam", mounted to the playscape from which our bird feeder hangs.  I said yes, so he put on some sneakers, walked to the backyard in his pajamas, and proceeded to strap the camera in place.

Facing our house.

That was not what I thought he would do.  After all, we have a BIG picture window over our kitchen sink that looks directly out onto the playscape.  Would our comings and goings in the kitchen trigger the camera's motion sensors?

I voiced my concerns when he returned to the house, but he made a comment that the photos weren't being broadcast to the internet, and anyway, this was just a trial run.  Hmph, was my reply.  

At dusk, he retrieved the camera so we could see what it captured.  Thankfully, my kitchen movements didn't seem to trigger the camera at all; in fact, the reflection from the yard almost obscures the view inside the house.  

The camera took over 240 pictures in about eight hours.  Enjoy some birdwatching with me!  See if you can identify the cardinal pair, redwing blackbird, doves, bluejays, European starlings, a chickadee in flight, and a titmouse.  Our two regular woodpecker visitors made an appearance, too!















2 comments:

  1. It sure seems as if this forward facing camera is capturing the magic in your yard. I realize I miss a lot of the excitement when I just use the old "look outside the window" approach. Thanks for making me think about an upgrade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing a 'slice' from your backyard. I love sitting out in my yard and watching the back and forth of birds into the yard. A critter cam must be a fun thing to have to see what happens at other times.

    ReplyDelete