Thursday, March 10, 2022

SOLSC '22 Day Ten: Quick hugs fill the tank

 

By the time I post this, it will be the last day with the students before Spring Break.  They get Friday off; we get time to catch up on state-mandated professional development.  (If I get to that, past the three other burning deadlines and rapidly multiplying sticky notes on my office desk.)

It's been a week.  It's no secret among educators that many students do not react well to a looming break from school for a multitude of reasons.  The closer we get to the last day, the more behavior management strategies seem to be needed.  This goes for the library, too. There has been a lot of redirecting and reminding going on.  It's hard sometimes to tone down the energy level and get library lessons and checkouts done in a calm manner in thirty minutes.  

But the thirty-minute mark does come, and classes line up to go to their next activity.  My teacher colleagues are super-supportive, and always prompt the students to say thank you on the way out.  This week, I've noticed more students sidling up to me for a quick hug and a "Bye, Ms Margocs".  A squeeze on the shoulder sends them off.

I think those side hugs are filling their tanks...and mine.  Maybe enough to make it to and through Spring Break and beyond.

Image source: https://artleagueofoceancity.org/event/have-a-heart-give-a-hug/


2 comments:

  1. These moments are captured beautifully. I could see and feel each one. "This week, I've noticed more students sidling up to me for a quick hug and a "Bye, Ms Margocs". A squeeze on the shoulder sends them off." Thank you and Happy Break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I know you are right here - "I think those side hugs are filling their tanks...and mine." Enjoy the upcoming spring break!

    ReplyDelete