Sunday, March 20, 2022

SOLSC '22 Day Twenty: Pleasant procrastination

 

There is a certain state-mandated professional development unit made up of a dozen modules that takes twice as long to wade through (at least for me) as the creators estimated, which is supposed to be completed within a year.  Our cohort has a timeline to stick to in order to accomplish this goal.    

I am already a week behind on the eighth module.

I brought it home for Spring Break, thinking I could hammer out an hour or so each day.

I haven't touched it yet, and it's Sunday.  We go back to work tomorrow.

So what have I been doing instead of this module?  Procrastinating in the most pleasant of ways.  I have:  

Read three books, working on the fourth.
Sipped coffee on the front porch.
Eaten lunch on the back porch.
Done oodles of online shopping.
Baked cookies for St Patrick's Day.
Slept in, and taken naps.
Watched the birds at the feeder.
Completed several online jigsaw puzzles.
Installed, played, then uninstalled Candy Crush on my phone.
Played several rounds of solitaire and mahjong on the computer.
Celebrated my husband's birthday and baked him a cake.
Enjoyed a libation or two.
Applied fun St Patrick's Day nail wraps to my fingernails.
Finally put away the Christmas plates.  (The mugs, on the other hand...)
Dyed my hair purple again.
Watched a lot of PBS shows.  
Reinvigorated my container gardening.
Cooked a few dinners.
Visited with my son.
Made a couple of returns from online shopping.
Attempted to reorganize my cluttered vanity.
Swapped out the painting over the mantel from winter to spring.
Washed the winter throw blankets and brought out the Irish shamrock blanket.
Started planning for next week's work clothes and tasks.

Guess there's nothing left to do but get to work on that module today.  No more procrastinating...after I make a yummy breakfast and watch "CBS Sunday Morning".

5 comments:

  1. I am with you on this last day of March Break, and feeling like you have to play catch up. It is a jolt of a stress for me; and I don't deal with it well, but I digress...
    I love your list of what you did do -- meaningful events that speak to you, brought you clear joy, and hopefully, brought you some rest. Enjoy your 'last day'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple hair and baking a cake - I love this image, it has spark. You are living your life fully, making a deliberate choices of good things over mandates during a break, and eventually you'll get the mandated task done too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a wonderful, restorative break! I love reading the details of what people do on their days off -- thanks for sharing. And good luck on the module! Try working in 20 minutes chunks with a timer, then allow yourself a fun break. That's the only way I get done my most arduous tasks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Procrastinating in the most pleasant of ways" YES! I made a "ta-done" list in my journal this morning, but that sounds more productivity related. I agree with Terje, the purple hair is my favorite. 'Tween did some cookie baking, but I sure did enjoy eating them. Sounds like you had a restful break. As for the modules...you'll get them done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, we are in the throes of similar state-mandated PD here as well, with a similar timeline. I actually started with an earlier cohort and have completed everything, but teachers are just beginning and I feel so horrible about their having to do it on top of everything else. I LOVED this list of things you were doing instead - every one of them! - and was laughing out loud by the fun St. Pat's nail wraps, the purple hair... all of it just priceless. I hope you enjoyed every single moment. Life is made of more than modules :O

    ReplyDelete