Monday, March 14, 2022

SOLSC Day Fourteen: Good vibes

 

I am an introvert, and I am blessed to be married to an introvert.  We are not ones for loud parties (though we will take in a rock concert now and then).  Quiet days are welcome and bucket-filling.

So the hubby turned sixty yesterday.  I didn't plan anything big...well, except for the big platter of sixty mini-cupcakes I ordered and had delivered to his workplace last week.  He and his coworkers appreciated the gesture.  

I belong to a wine club at a vineyard about an hour's drive away, with subscription pickups every three months.  My pickup was ready, and hubby kindly suggested celebrating his birthday dinner at the attached bistro.  There is lovely terrace seating between the winery and the restaurant, and the weather was cooperative.

One of the reasons I continue my subscription is because of the scenic drive through the Hill Country to the winery.  It forces me to get out of the house and do something purely for myself.  Hubby drove his newish SUV; I sang with the radio and enjoyed the views from the passenger seat. 

After picking up the wine order and our free glasses of cuvée, we settled in at a table in the sun.  There were a few tables of young adults chattering away, one near a tree decorated with metallic mylar balloons spelling out "MBA".  A group of silver-haired ladies were laughing at another picnic table.  Several other couples, some with dogs in tow, were enjoying the sunny, breezy weather.

Hubby and I chatted a bit ourselves, but mostly we sat in pleasant silence, sipping on our wine and eating the delicious food.  We enjoyed the cuvée so much that we went back to the winery building to purchase another bottle. 

We walked to the edge of the terrace to view the vineyard and fields below.  I asked hubby if he wanted to take a selfie, but he declined.  "I have the view up here," he said, tapping his head with his finger.  I said I was the opposite, needing photos to confirm my misty memories.  I didn't want to break the spell through artificial posing, though, so I didn't insist on pictures. 

After a stop at a Goodwill in a ritzy area (hubby loves a good thrift find) and some frozen custard purchased in a drive-thru, we headed home for the cake I baked the night before and a couple hours of TV.  The time change was wearing on both of us, and we were yawning by 9p.

It was not an exciting day, not a loud or raucous celebration.  But it was filled with good vibes; just what this introverted couple needed.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day. Love Ya's, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Dad--and he appreciated the traditional singing over the phone, too.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a comfortable, lasting, loving relationship. This phrase jumps out at me - "mostly we sat in pleasant silence" - I think this is beautiful. Happy birthday to your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exactly that, Maureen--comfortable, in a good, but not boring, way. Over thirty years together, we've hit our groove, I think!

      Delete