Monday, March 28, 2022

SOLSC '22, Day Twenty-eight: No FOMO here

The Oscars are on, and we're....watching a different channel.  Sure, we indulged in a few minutes of red carpet interviews, recognized a handful of celebrities but didn't know three-quarters of the interviewers.  We haven't been inside a movie theater since 2020, maybe even 2019.  Yes, we have streaming service, but staying awake for two-plus hours while resting feet up on the couch?  Pffft.  Impossible.  We're lucky to make it through two episodes of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel", and that's with frequent bathroom breaks.  

I realize that I may be out of touch with several conversations at work tomorrow.  But hasn't that been my status quo since this pandemic started?  The same anxiety that kept me from being able to focus on reading, kept me out of restaurants and entertainment venues, pushed me farther down the introversion scale also made me less willing to spend any time at all following celebrity gossip.  Instead, I cultivated a growing collection of music CDs inspired by watching old ACL episodes on PBS with my husband, bolstered the economy through online retail therapy, and worked on those atrophying reading muscles.

If I have to, I can at least say that Jada Pinkett Smith had on a gorgeous emerald gown (my favorite color), and that I chuckled over Billie Eilish's account of writing a song on the road while performing at our local ACL music festival.  That will be the extent of my offerings to any conversation about tonight's awards.  

Maybe I'll get around to watching the nominees, if they are streaming.  If I can stay awake on my couch.

7 comments:

  1. My husband and I used to look forward to watching these awards, long ago, but the Oscars have gradually become less interesting, to the point of not watching at all anymore. I'm an advocate of PBS myself...I am thinking, in the scheme of things, about who really gets to define "out of touch" anyway! As always, I love your straight-shot, honest reflections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Fran, I'm glad to know we're not the only ones. I think the avoidance of watching aligns with my Lenten fast from Facebook, and my general non-participation of social media consumption (I tend to produce more than consume, outside of FB). There are too many details to attend to in my corner of the world to worry about who won Best Actor!

      Delete
  2. Same! I did scroll the fashion for a few minutes on Twitter but knew almost none of the celebrities. I did like Jada Pinkett Smith's dress--and Kirsten Dunst's. Then I happily started watching Sanditon. I am always out of the loop these days--and that's fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I was particularly interested this year because of CODA. That is a movie you should try to see. I was so touched by the cast of deaf actors and the way the audience responded to them. The film and its award is groundbreaking for deaf actors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No FOMO here either. Your words in this slice really resonate, especially the atrophying reading muscles and falling asleep on the couch while attempting to watch movies. It’s been a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how I can picture what you DID do instead, everything from the way you are too tired "pffft" for more than a quick binge and the way you have prioritized things that bring you joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years ago I enjoyed discussing which films and actors were worthy/unworthy of winning. I can't remember the last time I watched the Oscars. I certainly did't understand any Will Smith references I heard today. Did he do or say something? I'm clueless. It once bothered me. Now when I say I don't watch TV (or movies), I shrug it off.

    ReplyDelete