Wednesday, March 23, 2022

SOLSC '22, Day Twenty-three: It was a good day

 

It was a good day.  

Everyone seemed happy to be back in the library.  Students were engaged in the read-alouds and lessons.  Several classes had no overdue books (a school librarian's dream!), and at least two students who had shown difficult behaviors in our space in the past had successful visits, warranting high fives and praise.  We even had time for a few dance parties at class dismissals (the 30 Second Dance Party button makes taking a movement break fun and easy!).  My assistant was back, too, which freed me up from the circulation desk so I could take care of clearing out emails, getting lessons ready, and assisting students in the stacks.

I'm already thinking of next year's library program, and am seriously considering turning it ninety degrees.  We will hopefully have an updated space by then, and I need to update my purpose and plan to spread reading joy to all members of my campus. I'm contemplating flipping my lessons on library use, genres, and research skills with digital badges, so I can make time for book tastings, poetry slams, book talks, DEAR sessions, inquiry weeks, genre challenges, reviving my Wonder Wall, and read-alouds for the "big" kids. I need to get the data, but I'd venture to say that only thirty to forty percent of our collection is regularly accessed by students and staff--I need to raise that percentage.  I discussed some of these ideas with my after-school Readers' Advisory Club, and they seemed excited.

So it was a good day.  I had a chance to look at my email, and there is a job opening at the state library for sharing resources.  That is so aligned with my passion and I thought, for a second, could my days be even better?

But those plans...there's still a lot more I can do, staying right where I am. 

7 comments:

  1. There are many great ideas or activities we have in common and others you've share here we could also introduce, even in our classrooms. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juliette! None of these ideas I can claim as my own...just think it's time to inject more book joy into the program. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Spreading reading joy to all members of the campus... all those activities you're thinking about making time for ...it would be EXTRAORDINARY and is not merely work, but a whole mission. A whole way of life. I can see it happening, Chris, and you right in the middle of it all with the kids. It is so lovely to be thinking ahead with the positive, after where we've been... thanks also for the reminder that there's so much more we can all do, right where we are - it begins with a vision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be my third year as this campus' librarian, Fran, and I feel like I'm just now settling in and seeing a path forward. Which is saying something, as the last two years have been anything but ordinary. I am grateful for your camaraderie and support!

      Delete
  3. I love these ideas! You find so many ways to make changes wherever you are. Your campus, and especially your students, are so lucky to have you. Can't wait to hear how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing new, Alice, but much needed, I think. The hardest part will be getting the students to do the flipped lessons...still working out how to keep up with that, without making it a chore for them or myself. It will take a village of help and support to make these changes!

      Delete
  4. You have amazing ideas for spreading book joy! I always finding having new ideas and plans so energizing.

    ReplyDelete