Sunday, March 6, 2022

SOLSC '22 Day Six: Co-conspirator

 


"Aren't you going to open your gift?" he said, a hint of excitement in his voice.

"I haven't made my coffee yet," I replied, "let me wake up a bit."

I poured the coffee into my mug, added my sweetener and creamer.  Taking a few sips as I turned back around towards the dining table, I assessed the size of the box.  Too big to be jewelry, too small to be shoes...hmmm.

He had wrapped it impeccably, as always, and I hated to just tear at it, but I finally got the paper off.  A trail camera?  For when I go off into the woods?...Wait a minute, this isn't THAT kind of camera, my brain quickly sorted out.  It's...

"A critter cam!" I almost shouted.  "For the birdfeeder, yes?"

"Yep," he said.  "You read the manual and figure out the settings, and I'll help mount it someplace where we can get some good pictures."

I spent the next half hour doing exactly just that.  It's fun to be married to a co-conspirator when it come to birdwatching.


8 comments:

  1. I got excited when I saw your gift and I'm not even a bird watcher. But, yes, the idea of what is fun has definitely changed for me over the years, and watching animals is now exciting. And you know what? That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this, obviously not a bird watcher, but I think I could be if I had a cool thing like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see what you capture! That's even better than the DIY birdfeeder glasses I saw popping up on social media. Your excitement packs a big punch in this post. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea for my parents whose bird feeder is only visible from where my father's chair is located in the living room. My mom always misses out on his exclamations as various birds alight for a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a camera in a wood duck house so we can watch the process of layered by and hatching a clutch of wood ducks. It’s a crazy hobby but we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How absolutely fun, Chris! Can't wait to see what comes of this, in photos as well as story...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris, what a great gift. Nature calls you to monitor the goings on of your local birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa, we'd love to see what your critter cam captures!

    ReplyDelete