Friday, March 15, 2024

SOLSC '24 Day Fifteen: Remembering fifteen

Fifteen was

deep friendships
and deep doubts

heart-wrenching goodbyes
and learning to fit in--again

missing the Black Forest
and accepting the Chihuahuan Desert's beauty

iron bars on the windows
and tumbleweeds in the street

a new body
and new clothes

a string bikini
and first pair of heels

a major haircut
and curling-iron feathers

Lipsmackers
and Maybelline eyeliner pencils

feeling smart
and dumb at the same time

loving Algebra II
and ABBA

finding my voice
and a decent talent

singing along to "The Best of Times"
and "Don't Stop Believin'"

hoping a boy would like me
and my GPA

dancing in my bedroom
and avoiding homecoming

seemingly epic
and now, just a blip.



 

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Weird for me to think about 15 even in my twenties. I love that there are so many similarities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird, isn't it? Like a lifetime ago, no matter how little time has gone by. I will admit that I had to look up "hit songs of 1981" to remember what I was listening to that year, ha!

      Delete
  2. You so captured 15 in your poem, Chris - the feeling smart and dumb at the same time, the makeup, new hairstyle - feathers!! Haven't thought of that in so long. And ABBA - how I loved them. I think, however that my favorite part is "hoping a boy would like me and my GPA." That really pierces... and so yes, it all goes like a blip, which is anything but how it feels at the time. It's such a turbulent time, and then, having to move and start over in a new place - I can feel the depth of those young emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remembering fifteen you took me there. This sounds like more than memories, they are part of you so they're still relevant. I like how you paired everything, seemingly opposite but complementary.

    ReplyDelete