Thursday, March 21, 2024

SOLSC '24 Day Twenty-one: Moments and musings

The man burst into the classroom, gold mask covering his face, gold cape flying behind him, mariachi music blaring from a speaker in his hand.  The students were surprised, confused...and intrigued.  When the luchador said his piece and left and the author returned in his place carrying the mask, the children were already hooked on his presentation.

******* 
How do you envision your path to retirement?  Do you continue to take on more and more mantles of responsibility, carrying heavier and heavier loads to throw off your burdened, bent back at the finish line and run free into the sunset?  Or do you see yourself unloading one mantle at a time as you tick off each mile, until you can practically sprint upright as you break through the ribbon?  Do you join another race afterwards?

*******

I have been booktalking in the library, reading blurbs and first paragraphs of books to entice students into reading them.  I've had more success with some classes than with others.  I'm proudest of the students who are taking "windows/ sliding glass doors" books where the main characters have autism, are deaf, are faced with racism.  Let's hear it for growing empathy and understanding through literature!  On a related note, my favorite book opening that always shocks my students comes from Peg Kehret's The Ghost's Grave, where Josh's aunt shoots a bat in the kitchen.

*******

As I read and hear about more and more school libraries in my state being closed, or certified librarians being replaced with paraprofessionals, I am really concerned about the future of school libraries and my chosen career.  We've worked so hard to prove our worth and become the heart of the school...I guess the powers that be aren't paying attention, or just don't care.

*******

It's only 7:50p, and I'm fighting yawns, fellow educators.  The time change, testing season, and fourth quarter of the year are doing a number on my energy levels.  Hang in there, and get some sleep!  That's my priority tonight.

4 comments:

  1. That's a great priority! All of these vignettes are so beautifully described and articulated. I think my favorite is the one asking how we envision our path to retirement. Both images you present are powerful metaphors and really interesting ways to think about how we show up for those last few years. LOVE the image of unloading mantles to be able to sprint upright at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasha! I'm within a decade or so of full retirement, and just a few years out from retiring from public education...so these thoughts are becoming more frequent.

      Delete
  2. Your first vignette sounds like such a great time! I do miss all of the picture books after making my move. I need to catch up on the good ones.

    I feel all of the feels on everything you've written. I have book talks all day with reading intervention students, but I'm so excited to chat about all of the new books we've recently put on the shelves.

    The time change has done a number on me this year. After a week, I still can't seem to catch up. Here's to the upcoming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these random thoughts! Have you heard of Summer Brennan? She writes a "Five Things Essay", and your post kinda reminds me of that :) (I think that's her name...)

    Anyway, are librarians being targeted everywhere? Or are we in the same state? This is happening here in Texas, too, and it's so scary. You ARE the heart of our schools. Your work is crucial, and I am so thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete