Saturday, March 23, 2024

SOLSC '24 Day Twenty-three: Still playing with makeup

 

When I was a tween, I swore to myself that I wasn't going to be one of those girls that always wore makeup.  I wasn't necessarily the "girly" type to the full extent; yes, I played with dolls, liked the Avon solid perfumes that came in cute brooches (does anyone else remember those?), and made sure my outfits matched.  But I preferred pants over dresses, science over social schmoozing, books over boys, math over makeup.

Then puberty hit.  The kiddy pudge was lost in inches grown skyward, I got my first real hairstyle, and learned from friends that if you held the tip of a Maybelline eyeliner in a lighter's flame for a few seconds, you got a nice smooth black line.  Blue mascara was fun, as were glittery lip glosses, concealer to hide those late-night study sessions, and blush to wake up my Polish-Irish skin.

Those dark circles never went away; sleepless nights with babies cemented them in place.  Sunspots now decorate my pale skin along with laugh lines and that "eleven" between my eyebrows--most likely from those stern mom and teacher reprimanding glares.  There's a skin care routine in place now, with double cleansing and serums and moisturizers and treatments.  They must be working; my students asked me this week how hold I was, and when I replied "Fifty-eight", they responded with gasps and said they thought I was thirty or forty.  Which is still ancient, I think, in elementary schoolkids' minds.

Today I received a colorless translucent powder in the mail.  I've never tried that kind of product before, so of course it was put into use for my curbside pickup at Target.  (You never know who will spot you in the parking lot, especially when you work in your own neighborhood.  Don't want to scare a student with unconcealed dark circles!)  I didn't do the full primer-foundation thing, just a BB cream, concealer, blush, mascara, and that new powder.  I was wowed by how it worked!

Now my workday makeup routine involves moisturizers, primer, foundation, concealer, cream blush, powder, eyeshadow, eyelash primer, and mascara, with a spritz of setting spray and a swipe of lipstick or tinted gloss.

My Polish grandmother, who wore lipstick and blue eyeshadow and blush probably to her deathbed, would approve, I think.  And tell me to reapply my lipstick while I'm at it. 

3 comments:

  1. I admire people who have the patience with make-up and I admire the polished results. Eyeliner, eyeshadow and mascara are my basics. I try to remember the lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My second job required me to wear make up. That put me off it pretty much, except for very special occasions. I enjoy reading what make up others apply and keep wondering if I suddenly started using lipstick, would I scare everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. True confessions, Chris: I'm an every-day makeup wearer and have been, pretty much, since I was fifteen. Moisturizer before makeup is key, as is 50 SPF sunblock - I wear it year round. I remember reading somewhere that toner is also key, so, after hydrating makeup-remover cloths and washing (without soap--I stopped using cleanser on my face several years back), I apply the toner before nighttime moisturizer. No one guesses my age either, which is fun, although I'm not sure how much longer people will ask if I am my sons' sister. -Elementary students: Their concept of age is hilarious. Once when my husband came to drop something off for me at school, the first-graders said: "Mrs. Haley, your dad was here!" - one of my all-time favorite moments. I had to call him and tell him right away, of course. Your slice is so deftly written. I can appreciate the transitional phases of life with make-up, as you and I are but a year apart, and I am curious to know the brand of that powder! OH - I DO remember those cute Avon pins! I had one! A little gingerbread man. His face opened up to a solid perfume - Sweet Honesty, I think. That was soooooo long ago...

    ReplyDelete