Saturday, March 2, 2024

SOLSC '24 Day Two: Two of a kind

Scenes from our spring book fair (names changed to protect the innocent):

"Okay, Michael, here's your change.  Thanks for shopping our book fair!  Who's up next?  Oh, welcome back, Jenna!  What would you like?"

"I'd like an invisible pen, please!"

"Let's see how much money you have...oh, honey, you don't have enough for a pen.  How about one of these erasers, or a bookmark?"

Michael, still waiting by the door, notices Jenna's face fall.  "Ms Margocs, Jenna can have this," as he hands me two dollars from his change.

"Are you sure, Michael?", I say.  "Will your parents be upset if you don't bring back all of your change?"  He shakes his head, "No.  She can have it!" and hands me the bills, then leaves.  

I pull the pen from the bucket.  As I'm completing the sale, I ask, "Jenna, is Michael a friend of yours?  Is he in your class?".

"No, Ms Margocs--he's in second grade, and I'm in first."  Jenna leaves with her pen in hand and a smile on her face.

***********

"Hey, Jimmy!  What have you picked out?"

"I got this for me, and this for my little sister.  She's home sick with strep AND the flu.  This will cheer her up!"

I ask how old his sister is; he tells me that she's four.  I scan the items.  "Jimmy, I'm so sorry, you don't have enough for both of these big books.  You can put one back and get another that doesn't cost quite so much.  Which one would you like to put aside?"

Jimmy hands me the book he picked for himself.  "I can get another book for me.  My sister will feel so much better with the one I picked for her.  Do I have enough for the smaller book and a pen?"

"Yes, you do, Jimmy."  I scan the purchases and send him on his way, grateful for his huge seven-year-old heart.

***********

Children these days.  I pray to God that their hearts remain this tender and giving throughout their lives.  If so, there is hope for humanity, after all.

 

5 comments:

  1. Those moments are so sweet! I am glad you captured and shared them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Character in action

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the little people and your post restore my hope for humanity. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your goal of Slicing positively and these two stories tug at my heart. I love the Book Fair, for sure. And I wish there were some way it didn't create such financial conundrums for little kids. When I'm queen of the world, every kid will get a crisp $20 on Book Fair Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two acts of kindness, two-dollar offerings second graders...everything is coming up twos and I love the pattern you're establishing for Slices, Chris. You use of present tense brings the narrative to life and your dialogue is impeccable. These exchanges warmed my heart so. I join you in that prayer for the children, for hope, for humanity, for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete