Monday, March 25, 2024

SOLSC '24 Day Twenty-five: The wall has arrived

 


This happens to me with just about every SOLSC, with a week to go in the challenge: the wall made up of writer's blocks suddenly goes up.

I say writer's blocks--plural--because I have plenty of ideas to write about.  Then my brain blocks each one.

I started with the title "I used to, but now", but I wasn't feeling the couplet thing this evening.

Blogging in pajamas and undereye gel patches came to mind...and then what?  I've already talked about my makeup and skincare routine.

I could write about the monthly librarians' meeting we had today at the beautiful Round Rock Public Library, but the idea of writing a play-by-play of the topics and discussions tires me.

We are on the downhill slide to the school year's end, with just nine weeks to go.  But aren't most people in this writing challenge in the same boat?  What more do we have to say, other than we're tired and cranky and dislike testing season immensely?

I realized this afternoon that my spatial awareness of major roads in my corner of the city is really, really off...but that would only cover a couple of sentences.  And I'm already tired of using "I" as much as I have just writing these blocks down.

So there you have it.  A wall of blocks.  Maybe tomorrow will bring a better story to share with an audience.  If not, well....my undereyes should look fabulous, at least.

6 comments:

  1. There are at least topics here you can extend for slices. I still enjoyed the humor about your night time ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely relate! I don't really have a shortage of ideas, I just have days when nothing really hits home and I can't expand my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Applause! You sliced with humor and persistence and candor. I enjoyed all of it, especially: "What more do we have to say, other than we're tired and cranky and dislike testing season immensely?" I feel this in my bones, even without the downer of testing. May the next few slices come easily and in a timely fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, it's me, Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the humor and relateability and realness of this slice. There's always at least one of these days in the challenge--plenty of ideas, yet nothing we feel like writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are triumphant on at LEAST two counts: 1) You wrote anyway! and 2) This post about writing blocks is so entertaining and all too true! For me, fatigue is absolutely the biggest battle. Imma need those undereye patches in addition to that fabulous powder you mentioned before...

    ReplyDelete