Tuesday, March 12, 2024

SOLSC '24 Day Twelve: A dozen other things

 

It was hard, at first, to truly focus on what I was doing, where I was, who I was with.  There were a dozen other things on my mind:
  • whether a book order was going to be dropped off at school with no one there
  • the scheduling of a STAAR test the day after the upcoming eclipse
  • the state of my house, in disarray, and a friend is due to visit
  • gifts for said friend--where did I put them?
  • where is my bright green purse?
  • why do I keep clenching my teeth?
  • am I going to have time to watch any movies this break?
  • I've got to take pics and post stuff on Buy Nothing
  • why did my packages get delivered just after we left the house?  Will they be there when we get home?
  • I forgot to water the plants before we left
  • I probably should have stayed home to clean and purge stuff
  • packages need to be taped up and St Patty's Day cards filled out and mailed tomorrow!
But...after my second work-related comment as we drove up IH-35, my son not-so-gently reminded me that I am on SPRING BREAK, and we were on our way to have a FUN DAY in Waco.  And we did.  We
  • listened to the radio and talked about music groups
  • ate pizza at a new-to-us pizzeria just off the highway in Jarrell
  • noticed out-of-state license plates on the eighteen-wheelers
  • saw lots and lots of roadside bluebonnets
  • spent a lot of time at a Half-Price Books outlet, and spent more money on books for my students than on books for us
  • navigated our way to the Waco Riverwalk, parked, walked, and took lots of pictures of architecture, rowers, nature, and memorial statues
  • tried to find a way to a burger place and couldn't find parking, so we drove a few blocks into downtown, parked, and walked to an antique store
  • bought some books and old keys
  • drove a bit more through downtown 
  • made our way to Freddy's and ate fries and frozen custard
  • listened to more music on the radio, and my son tolerated my singing along to "Bring Me to Life" and "Cheap Thrills", "Love is a Battlefield" and "I Think We're Alone Now"
  • made it home in time to do our Duolingo and show dad/husband the pics from our trip
Today may be the only truly task-free day of Spring Break...and it was worth banishing the to-do list to the rest of the week.  Today we made memories, instead.








6 comments:

  1. What a lovely slice! The balance of the 12 reasons to stay home and the 12 reasons you're glad you went is just perfect. As a mom to young boys, the idea of a day trip with my older son someday sounds just wonderful. Thanks for sharing this sweet memory in the making! Enjoy your spring break. (From Laura Mazer at mazerlymusings.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! I know I am privileged to have an adult son who happily joins me for road trips. I let him choose the location and the sights to see. It was a wonderful way to celebrate Spring Break!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun day. Just a guess but I think you probably needed it. Love ya, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I love this. It's like two competing lists. I'm glad your family list won today. The photos are fun too. Who knew Waco could have so much interest. I love the idea of shopping for old books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is a Half Price Books aficionado, and just had to check out their Outlet in Waco. I'm glad we went--got tons of books to giveaway, and a couple for us to read. As for the antiques--he loves old keys, and I found an "Arthur" book for a buck! (May keep that one for myself...)

      Delete