Tuesday, March 5, 2024

SOLSC '24 Day Five: Unpredictable ways to run out of fifties

The card from my husband was predictably leaning against a vase with a fresh bouquet of flowers, and it was predictably sweet and loving.  My father's card was predictable, too, printed out from his computer with greeting card software, like most of his cards for the past several years.  He always includes a picture on the verso from his archives, usually baby pictures or school photos.  But not this year.

He inserted a photo of my birth announcement--"It's a Girl!" in flowery illustration--with my mother's handwritten details.  My eyes welled with tears at the sight of her graceful swoops and loops written fifty-eight years ago.  How can one predict that which triggers decades-old grief?

*****
I arrive at work to find the library door open and festooned with green door fringe and a "Happy Birthday!" banner.  Inside, there are enough pastries and juice for a quarter of our campus, with a giant green bag that I know contains goodies that have been creatively gathered.  When did she do all of this? (Apparently at 630a!)

*****
"Ms B, I'm here to cover your class...you have a meeting?"
"Ms Margocs, we were just talking about you!  Let's sing her a Happy Birthday, class!" (Second graders erupt in song.) "And oh, they didn't tell you?  I am skipping the meeting--Happy Birthday!"

*****
"Fifth graders, it's time to line up.  Grab your computers and books--las computadoras y tus libros.  Thank you!"
Fifth grader in line:  "And a one, and a two--Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you...".  The rest of the group joins in, smiling and laughing with me.

***** 
Parent volunteer/ library substitute sneaks through the green door fringe while I'm wrangling kindergarteners, bearing an 8x8 pan of homemade banana pudding, complete with whipped cream and nilla wafers.  I give her a huge thanks and a hug, then get back to wrangling kindergarteners.

*****
Number fifty-eight has been interesting, uplifting, and unpredictable. Only one more fifty to go; wonder what that one will be like? 

 

10 comments:

  1. How sweet that so many cared enough to want you to have the happiest of birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did feel celebrated on my birthday, Eva!

      Delete
  2. I like how you sprinkle in the mini-surprises throughout your day, but the first part, the unexpected birth announcement on the card from your father juxtaposed with the predictable is my favorite. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother had the most beautiful handwriting, Alice, and examples of it are getting buried in life's accumulated stuff. It was a blessing and a skipped heartbeat to see it again. Thanks for the birthday greeting!

      Delete
  3. It seems you are well loved. I love the juxtaposition between the predictable and the surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being an elementary librarian is having the largest classroom in the school, with five hundred plus students in my care in this space. I did feel very, very loved on my birthday!

      Delete
  4. What joy to read this piece! It's so full of love and appreciation for you! Hope the rest of your day was just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natasha! It was a hectic but good day--I even left on time, for once!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday, Chris! So many joyful surprises. The inclusion of your birth announcement, with your mother's handwriting, struck me deeply. Such a loving gesture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me by surprise, Fran. Her handwriting was so beautiful; I'm surprised my father was able to dig up the birth announcement after all these years, and all his moves to new homes.

      Delete