Tuesday, March 19, 2024

SOLSC '24 Day Nineteen: I'm a librarian--(more than) nine things I did today

 

I'm a librarian.  So yes, I participate in our district's K-2 reading program and had my students vote for their favorite books today, using our flat panel.

I'm a librarian.  I book-talked a bunch of books to 3rd-5th grades today.  Some classes fought over who got the books, some classes just took a few of my suggestions and went on to find their own books.  And I'm not mad, because I know that not every book is for every reader, and these students have access to the entire library.

I'm a librarian.  Of course, I get random hugs from kids of all ages.  A few students are regulars, coming in for a shoulder squeeze on the daily.  (Please note:  I never initiate hugs!)

I'm a librarian.  Of course I said it was okay for students who are fasting for Ramadan to come to the library during their lunchtime.

I'm a librarian.  So it made me sad when a new student said they just moved from a big school with a big library, but they weren't allowed to touch the books.  Once again--students have access to all the books in my library, unless a parent requests limited access.  She smiled when I told her that.

I'm a librarian.  So of course I spent part of my day prepping for tomorrow's author visit in classrooms--and went to the grocery store after school to buy some snacks for the author's break.

I'm a librarian.  So of course, I got excited opening a box of new books for the library.

I'm a librarian...and I enjoyed modifying MARC records for cataloging those new books.  Those records make it easier for my students to find what they're looking for.

I'm a librarian.  So of course I made some new student IDs today, uploaded new student photos into the district folders and then navigated the financial software to receive the new books on the purchase order.

Bonus:  I'm a librarian.  And even with all of the challenges libraries and librarians face these days, I still feel like I have the best job on campus.



2 comments:

  1. I love this take on the "I'm a...." trend. What a great way to show us a glimpse into your librarian life! I don't think I would make a good librarian, but I do love being in libraries, and it's largely in part due to people like you who make those spaces so welcoming, inviting, and enjoyable to be in! (From Laura Mazer at mazerlymusings.wordpress.com... sorry I cannot figure out how to sign in to comment properly here!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Yes, you are a Librarian, and I believe the best. Love Ya, Dad.

    ReplyDelete