Wednesday, March 20, 2024

SOLSC '24 Day Twenty: A case of the have-tos

 

They were there 
as soon as the
first alarm radio started playing.

I have to get up early today.
I have to wash my hair
before I get my hair cut.
I have to remember the author's snacks.
I have to pack my lunch.
I have put out the return carts
(the ones I forgot yesterday afternoon)
before the students arrive.
I have to make sure
the teachers know what to do
when the author visits today.
I have to leave school by 420p
to make it to my hair appointment--
will STAAR training take too long?
I have to get those things printed
for that teacher, which means
I have to change out the ink cartridges.
I have to fill out my conference paperwork.
I have to rectify my p-card purchases.
I have to finish my bulletin board.
I have to...
I have to...
I have to...
(And for those of you positive people
who are thinking 
"Change those have tos to get tos"...
well, that just didn't work with this list today.) 

2 comments:

  1. Dear, Cmargocs:

    I felt you calling me all the way in Colorado with this post! How did you know this is my life??? I promise, I had this conversation both yesterday and today with two friends I hold dear. The former asked, "Do you think other people experience this, too?" And my answer was a resounding, "YES!" And here you go, putting it into a lyrical gem.

    I feel like I need to post this somewhere as a reminder to me that I am not alone! Thank you for using your gift to give voice to moments that can be so hard to admit. I totally feel you on this one - and the aesthetical design of your poem is absolutely beautiful.

    Sincerely, Dr. Brown

    P.S. - I shuddered a bit when I saw that STAAR acronym. Clearly, I am talking to a fellow Texan! Wishing you the best. May we whittle down our lists sooner than later and salvage our peace of mind! #smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I'm in good company, Dr. Brown! And yes, I am in Austin, Texas, and already dealing with the repercussions of STAAR testing season. Thankfully, the author visit went well and I got those ink cartridges changed out!

      Delete