Monday, March 18, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Eighteen: Music memory

It was my birthday.  I was sitting in the driveway, ready to leave for work, when I tried something on a whim.

Me:  "Alexa, play music from 1966."

Alexa:  "Playing music from 1966, on Amazon Music."

Memories filled the air on my way to work.  "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys.  "I Am a Rock" by Simon and Garfunkel.  "Bus Stop" by The Hollies. "Cherry, Cherry" by Neil Diamond.  "Uptight" by Stevie Wonder.  "You Keep Me Hangin' On" by The Supremes.

It was a good year for music.  And I knew almost every song, thanks to a father with a hi-fi turntable and a mother who turned the radio on as soon as she entered the kitchen each day.  Wherever we traveled in the world--and we did travel, far and wide--there was always music.

Link to songs from 1966.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks to my parents, I know most of those songs as well! It seems like it was a good year for music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by how much I remembered; these songs must have played often in our house and on the radio for me to know them from my birth year!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous memory! You’re making me think about writing on the summer I “discovered” the Beatles in my aunts’ old stash of records. I can’t believe we both mentioned the Beach Boys today - slice kismet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents spent their formative years in Southern California, so the Beach Boys were often played in our home. You should write about your Beatles moment!

      Delete
  3. What a fun memory! Music is so good for the soul! It is nice when a song brings back a memory, it looks like a lot of memories were brought back this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post. Yes. I had similar parents and am thankful for it all the time. My kids are being raised the same way. Thanks for sharing and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am so grateful for parents who loved music. Lucky us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun memory you captured here. When I was young, my mom loved playing Petula Clark and Simon and Garfunkel and The Beatles on her record player.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this post. Ours was a music filled home as well. And now that I have a family of my own, we always have music on too. I'm only 37 but I think I know the words to most of those songs too because of my parents always playing music. I loved that the first song you listed was "God Only Knows." That may be one of my favorite songs of all time. Beach Boys are one of my favs.

    Glad you enjoyed listening to your music!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks... not to my parents, but my husband, I know most of those songs as well. He is a true oldie but goodie guy. He really should have been born in another generation! And there should always be music!

    ReplyDelete