Sunday, March 3, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Three: What a difference support makes

Dressed in a red-and-white striped top with a bright red cardigan, I drove back to school  yesterday morning for our two Texas State Teacher Fellows' Saturday Seminar.  The breakfast opener was being held in my library. Since the event just happened to fall on Dr Seuss' birthday, they had decorated the space appropriately on Friday afternoon.

We were greeted at the library door by our kindergarten and first grade Fellow teachers,who were sporting fun Dr Seuss headbands.  The library was full of members from their program cohort, their professors, several representatives from our district's Central Office, and our own kindergarten and first grade teachers and administrators.  I thoroughly enjoyed my coffee, breakfast taco, Round Rock doughnut, and cinnamon roll while listening to the welcome speeches from the teacher mentor, district and campus administrators, and Fellows.  We made a cute notebook in the shape of the iconic Seussian cat-hat, and were directed to the first presentation in the classroom.

As familiar as I am with our Fellows--they visit the library with their classes every week, and I've supported them with both children's and professional book and material selections--I don't get to spend time observing my teachers in their classrooms.  I was blown away by their presentations.  From the looks of their classrooms, the routines and communities they have established, the effective teaching and learning strategies they modeled--they presented as experienced educators, not as the first-year teachers they are.

Sitting in the back row of seats in each room, I reflected on my own first year of teaching.  Alone in a portable, assigned no mentor, not even really knowing what questions to ask...I had to figure a lot out on my own.  These young women had a library full of people--classmates, professors, an on-site experienced teacher mentor, our own campus new teacher mentors, their teammates and administrators--helping them overcome every hurdle they encountered over what is arguably the hardest part of teaching: getting through your first year. 

What a difference support makes.  Perhaps our legislators, currently working on school funding yet again, should take note.

12 comments:

  1. As a second year teacher who had a ton of support from my teaching community- I can say that it made all the difference. If you would've told me in year 2 I'd be presenting to my coworkers and welcoming teachers from another district, I would've laughed in your face. But because of the support from everyone around me- mentors, administration, coworkers...my confidence was built and I have felt safe enough to explore and take 'risks'. I think mentor programs should be mandatory everywhere- support changes the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear another mentoring success story! I agree; it should be mandatory.

      Delete
  2. Yes! New teachers (and all teachers, really) need support and time to talk to and work with other educators. I loved how you painted such a vivid picture of what the support looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly heartening to be in the room with this group!

      Delete
  3. Like you, I was left alone to sink or swim, both as a first year teacher and in my current job. Even w/ the support you describe, and I know it’s better at my school now, new teachers still often feel alone. It sounds as though your seeing a model for what to do to bring teachers into the profession. I hope we see more as time goes by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope teacher mentor positions become standard on campuses with new recruits!

      Delete
  4. My son’s in their Elsa England counterpart’s class, and I have a similar impression of Mr. Rosenfeld. I have worked on teams with a few teachers who’ve gone through this program as well, and they’ve said nothing but wonderful things about their experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amount of support truly shows in their confidence and expertise, I think. Glad your son has a a good experience as a student in a Fellow's class!

      Delete
  5. Your line: "What a difference support makes" sticks with me. I still juggle and struggle and it is my 27th year as a teacher. I'm inspired but your post. It is what I want ALL 1st year teachers to have - support. Teaching is a unique profession and newbies (and veterans too) need support!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our campus is trying to get teachers to step in each other's rooms to observe and learn by offering coverage to make that happen.

      Delete
  6. This reminds me of a post from a teacher with a few years under her belt! (I wish I could remember who it was.) She talked about how people assume that after the first couple years are over that teachers do not need as much support. She told them to "keep knocking on doors" even after those first few years. It is great to see that support in your district.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I get a lot by conferring with my fellow librarians each month, and I'm not a newbie anymore. We all need that support!

      Delete