Thursday, March 28, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Twenty-eight: At a loss

I turn on the kitchen light at four twenty-five a.m., startled a little when a large-ish pouf of gray and white comes to its feet on my windowsill, a reverse silhouette against the darkness, pupils large and black staring plaintively.

"Mew," it says to me.

"Awww, Gracie, did you sleep there overnight?  You need to go home!" I say, pointing next door as if she needs directions.  She paws at the window.  "You know you can't come in.  Is there no furniture left in your garage for you to sleep on?  I know, honey, it's hard."  Gracie continues to watch me make my coffee and unload the dishwasher.

I leave her at the window.  On my way to the study, I think about my neighbor moving and giving Gracie away.  If I weren't allergic, resistant to vacuuming everyday and in possession of wooden furniture that I wish to remain relatively unscathed, I'd figure out a way to keep her.  I hope my neighbor has talked her daughter-in-law into taking Gracie in.

Within minutes of sitting down at the computer, a soft mew comes from the front windowsill. I spy Gracie through the space between the blinds and the window, lounging as I type this post.  A few minutes later, I turn and she's gone, probably hunting a moth attracted to our porch light.

I will count Gracie among my losses, when my neighbor moves. 

  

5 comments:

  1. I, too, am allergic to cats - paid a heavy price (asthma attacks) for even going in a room with them as a child. Gracie does sounds lovely and this post pulls on my heartstrings, on her behalf - as well as yours. Poignant post. I hope she gets a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracie seems to want to give you love. She knows a kind heart when she sees one. I'm sad for her, too, but cats are amazingly resilient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cats have always seemed like a good idea to me-- until I've actually had them. I appreciate other people liking cats, but I'd prefer an occasional visit like you have from Gracie!

    I loved your first paragraph as it brought us right into the scene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Poor, Gracie... but you describe missing her so beautifully. Poor, Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgive me, but I’m so glad I don’t know you or where you live. I do not have any interest in having a cat, but your slice about Gracie melted my heart.

    ReplyDelete