Wednesday, March 6, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Six: I see kind people

We ate our traditional Mardi Gras pancake dinner at IHOP last night, co-celebrating my birthday with clink of mugs filled with decaf coffee.

We had a cheerful waiter, a young man who smiled from his eyes and checked on us just enough times.

A few rows down from us, an older couple sat together on the same side of their booth, the man in a newsboy cap, the woman with a shockingly full head of jet-black curls almost covering her eyes, talking and smiling.  A family was sitting behind us, and a few minutes after they left, the older gentleman scooped up a scarf they left behind and delivered it to them in the parking lot.

Separated by a half-wall of etched windows, the family next to us played games while they waited for their food.  Down the aisle from them, a father read something from his phone to his teenage son.  A younger father ate with his red-headed little girl, quiet and smiling.

I heard chatter in the foyer, and looked over my left shoulder to see a young boy dancing around, his sibling calling out from a baby carrier in not-yet-intelligible speech, their unperturbed mother conversing with another adult.

Our bellies full and our waiter generously tipped, we left the restaurant with contented smiles.
********************
During this SOLSC, I'm trying to be more observant of my surroundings, hoping to catch a story to tell.  Last night's observations are more vignette than tale.   




3 comments:

  1. Very nice. I enjoy people watching and still can't get over it when an entire family while waiting for their food are on their ipad, phone, or some other electronic game device. So much for family chatter. I trust we weren't too far off key in singing our Happy Birthday wish sung while you were enjoying your meal!! Glad you had a nice day. Love Ya, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post made me feel like I was there too having dinner at IHOP. Thanks for sharing this small moment. You captured every detail and perfectly put them into words. A belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A writer is a keen observer of the world - I always find your details vivid and rich. I have been trying to "listen" more myself. And Happy Birthday to you, my friend! I celebrate you!

    ReplyDelete