Wednesday, March 13, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Thirteen: Playing hooky

The kindergarten teachers started moving the furniture yesterday afternoon.  Today, they will take over the library for the annual Kindergarten Roundup, the district-wide registration of incoming kindergarteners.  Because of the size of our school (we had eight K classes this year) and the private-school-style-orientation they offer the parents and children (school tour for the parents, mini-lesson for the students), they need the big space to use as a waiting room and registration line.

So what am I doing to help this venture?  Well, yesterday I covered bookshelves with butcher paper to keep little hands from wreaking havoc with my fiction section.  I offered suggestions for traffic flow, and listened to the K lead teacher, affirming her plan of action.  Today, while the office staff is helping parents fill in forms and the teachers are giving tours and observing the class of 2032(!), I'm taking the day off.

It also happens to be my husband's birthday today.  Our son is home from college on Spring Break.  With three reasons to vacate my library, how could I resist?

I've already slept in an extra hour (oooh! 545a!  what a luxury!).  I'm enjoying a leisurely cup of coffee.  After posting this, I'll read six Slices instead of three!  Once I wake up my son, we'll go out for breakfast before heading to the grocery store to buy supplies for the birthday cupcakes my husband requested.  I will bake them this morning before we all head out the door for an early afternoon showing of "Captain Marvel" at our favorite dine-in movie theater.

Tonight, the niggling work thoughts will creep in:  tomorrow's author visit, several class checkouts, financial details I have to complete before Spring Break starts next week.

But today?  I'm playing hooky, and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

12 comments:

  1. Enjoy. We shall be singing our Birthday Wishes for Edward later in the day!!! This afternoon I shall be bringing a copy of my book to the Lady who sparked my desire to write it. She taught the "Write your life story" class at the ole folks program at UAH. Then off our diet for the day, we are going out for dinner. Love Ya, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Dad; it will be interesting to get your teacher's feedback on your book. Thanks also for the birthday wishes for Ed!

      Delete
  2. I really like how this slice is an anticipation of the day to come instead of a recounting of what happened. I leave feeling excited for you - hope it is a great day! (And hi! Glad to read you again today - trying to vary it up this month, but I've haven't stopped by in a while!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, back, Amanda! I hadn't really thought about the projecting vs reflecting; thanks for the insight. And it was a great day, actually went as planned!

      Delete
  3. good for you. I think it's so easy in our job to fall to "teacher guilt" for taking the day off. Enjoy your hubby's bday, and enjoy being around your son. Good for you for taking care of YOUR needs. Emotional ones count ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No guilt here! We had a nice, relaxing day together..ahhhh!

      Delete
  4. Nice for you! Sounds like a great day. You no doubt deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You deserve a break, so enjoy the day. We know school is never far from our minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held off the thoughts for as long as I could, but alas, I am a creature of habit. They crept back as I was laying out my clothes for the next day.

      Delete
  6. So glad you took a day! Schedule another one soon! Enjoy your family! Don’t give work another thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think a day is coming soon that would allow me to skip without increasing my workload threefold afterwards; sigh. Made this day even sweeter!

      Delete