Tuesday, March 26, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Twenty-six: The kindness of earthbound angels

I wrote a post this past weekend promoting scrubs for teacher workwear.  It struck a chord, because I got a lot of supportive comments.  But lest I offend those who are lucky enough to already wear scrubs to work...here are some words of affirmation for the earthbound angels who have crossed my path and marked me with their kindness and compassion.  

These are the nurses that have my heart:

The nurses from labor and delivery, who faxed a request downtown every Friday for nine weeks asking for updates on their 26 weeker, and wanted to see their miracle baby on our way home from the NICU downtown.  We gladly obliged.

The NICU nurses, so gentle with our daughter in the isolette, loving on her with extra cuddles when she graduated to a crib.  A couple even babysat her when she came home, spoiling her even more.  One has become an honorary aunt in our family.  We spoiled them with cookies, and many, many thanks.

My husband's niece, a PICU nurse who told us to bypass the ER at the hospital and come on up to her floor after our daughter projectile vomited across my father-in-law's kitchen, 1400 miles from home.  It took the doctor just minutes to diagnose a double ear infection.  My daughter felt better by the end of the trip, thanks to her cousin's care.

I count even more NICU nurses among workmates, during my years as a unit assistant and desk clerk in the same space my daughter occupied before.  They accepted me as a colleague, and appreciated my perspective as a former preemie parent.  I was honored to be in their presence almost every weekend for three years.

A special nurse, Seel, worked at our birth hospital.  I'm not even sure how her name is spelled.  In labor with my secondborn, four-and-a-half-years after the first, I called L&D and heard,"Did you say your last name is Margocs?  You wouldn't happen to be Gaby's mom, would you?'  
"Yes," I replied.  
"Honey, this is Seel.  Please tell me you are past 27 weeks this time!"  
"Yes, ma'am," I replied, "they've got me at 37 weeks."  
"Then you get your hiney in here, we'll take care of you!"  And take care of me they did, through a delivery complicated by HELLP syndrome and followed by strict bedrest in the hospital.

Patty, my mother's home health nurse, will always hold a special place in my heart.  She took care of my mother's health and emotional needs.  Skilled at tracheotomy and wound care, she also scheduled my mother's haircuts and made sure her nail polish and earrings matched her nightgowns.  Even my father's coffee and vitamins were laid out and ready for him in the morning.  When my mother had to be taken to the hospital to end her life support, Patty insisted on accompanying her in the ambulance, to say her final goodbyes at her bedside.  A nurse willing to stand at death's door with her patient, Patty was no mere guardian; she was an Archangel in scrubs.

I'm sure there have been more--school nurses, hospital nurses from my childhood and that of my children that fail to come to mind.  But I am thankful for their care, nonetheless.  Scrubs are the uniforms of angels; I'm not sure my work makes me worthy of the garb.


8 comments:

  1. The nurses are ministering angels, indeed. Where would we (and our loved ones) be, without them? This is beautifully told, Chris. There's a strength in your writing; it flows from the wellspring of your heart. You're a calming, healing presence. Very worthy of an angels' scrub uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This writing is a beautiful tribute to those "earthbound angels" whose life's work has made a difference for you and your family. With the many gestures of giving you describe, you've reminded me of the ICU nurses who took care of my mom in her final days and hours. It's a truly amazing job they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter is a junior in college studying nursing. She's not sure if she'll be a pediatric nurse practitioner or a certified nurse midwife, but I'm in awe of her desire to care for others. The nurses in my life have been godsends. Great tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had scary pregnancy experiences! Your writing is beautiful as it weaves tributes with memories and important details about you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true and very nice. One Lady you didn't mention was Maureen Bell. She was in her thirties when she started Nursing school, first Practical Nurse, then Registered Nurse, then Physician Assistant. A remarkable Lady who was a great help to me and your Mom. I am glad you mentioned Patty. She truly is an Angel on earth. I second your opinion and feelings on the Nurses in both the Doctor offices and hospitals. They are indeed special folks. Love Ya, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were definitely lucky to have Maureen in your corner, Dad. She is an amazing nurse.

      Delete
  6. This is beautiful. Thank you for honoring all the care and compassion we as nurses bring to the bedside every single day. The heart we put into what we do is the most important part of the healing process for anyone who may cross our path. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! I have been so blessed to have such care given to my family.

      Delete