Saturday, March 23, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Twenty-three: A case for comfy

Imagine yourself getting ready for work in the morning.  (If you're on Spring Break right now, like I am, I'm sorry for the painful thought.)

Did you lay out your clothes the night before, like I usually do?  I plan my work wardrobe for the week on Sundays, after checking the weather forecast.  Jeans days on Wednesdays and Fridays (and often on PD days) with college and school teeshirts, business casual on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.  I try on the clothes as I plan, as they seem to be shrinking lately.  Can I zip the zipper and button the buttons?  Whoops, nope, let's try another piece.  This shirt shows too many back lumps, that one's sleeves don't cover my tattoo.  Feeling self-conscious over new spider veins, more evident on these winter-white legs...dress is out of the question.  These new pants should...fit...they're the same brand and size as ones that do....nope, *%^&*!  Once the tops and bottoms are finally chosen...do I have comfy shoes to match?

Then comes Saturday.

After a leisurely late morning shower, I slip into khaki-colored, no-wrinkle, machine washable AND dryable, elastic-waisted-forgiveness-of-a-couple-pounds-gained pair of cotton/polyester pants.  Checking the weather, I put on either a long-sleeved white knit shirt, a white workout tee, or a tank top.  Over that goes a loosely fitting, light blue, v-necked, no-iron, short-sleeved, cotton/polyester top.  Both the pants and the top have more pockets than I know what to do with.  My footwear?  Athletic socks with arch support, and clean, dark blue sneakers.

If you haven't guessed by now--I get to wear scrubs on Saturdays for my hospital volunteer gig in the newborn nursery downtown.  

I sometimes wish I could wear them every day.  Don't they sound like the perfect clothes for elementary staff members?  They are so comfortable!  Stains wash out easily, and the pockets--omigosh, they could hold pens and pencils and bandaids and kleenex and hand sanitizer and cough drops and stickers and your cell phone and lip balm and that extra ponytail hairband I am always carrying around.

Scrubs for teachers--I think there's a case to be made here.  Do you think the school nurses would mind?

9 comments:

  1. I'm in!!! My husband is a pediatrician at a hospital ... so we have a lot of scrubs around the house. I love them. Any uniform really (if comfy) would work for me - I hate planning outfits. Loved hearing your voice throughout and the way you used action to move the piece. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. Teachers in scrubs 2019, I SUPPORT THIS CAMPAIGN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I would vote for that! And I was feeling your pain in the beginning! But I have to admit I was not thinking scrubs in the middle of our post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A uniform as versatile as scrubs would be so nice! I hate getting dressed for school. I have a similar dialogue with myself. Scrubs would fix all that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been complaining about my wardrobe for 2 years now :) love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your description of getting ready in the morning made me laugh out loud! I am in full support of your campaign! I have to say the comfort I feel on casual Fridays and other days where we are not in 'work clothes' is so amazing and I feel so much more relaxed and in turn, I think, I'm a better teacher! GO SCRUBS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I really don't get having to dress up at work. Especially as the music teacher! I need things I can dance and move around like crazy in! I support scrubs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! Never thought of this, but why not? Fun ones with unicorns or icecream comes if you're an elementary teacher....perhaps it would lend an air of more seriousness to the public perception of our profession...in some cases we are saving lives, here, people! At the very least, salving wounds and offering encouraging words, trying to get better (at something) everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don’t know if scrubs is the answer, but teachers definitely need to be able to move throughout their day and extra pockets would be great!

    ReplyDelete