Saturday, March 16, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Sixteen: Your brain needs words

One of the last students to check out, and he walked up to the circulation desk with one book.  A wordless seek-and-find, at that.

"It's Spring Break tomorrow.  Just one book?" I asked.

"I don't really read every day," he haltingly answered, "I probably won't read over Spring Break."

After a split second of shock, I looked him in the eye.  "This book is fine, it's fun.  And you should get it.  But you are in fifth grade.  You will be graduating in seven years.  Your brain needs words every day to get there.  Go find some more books."

I headed over to his teachers to report my rebuke, in case there was something else I needed to know.  They took a look in his direction; seeing him in the space section, they mentioned how much he liked that unit, was fine reading the material.

I walked over to him.  "You know we have two sections on space, right?"  He shook his head with a no.  "This section is the natural space books--planets, stars, galaxies.  But over here..."  He followed me down the aisle.  "Here are the technology space books--rockets, astronauts, moon landings.  There's even a book on space junk that I've been waiting for someone to check out.  Can you believe we're already polluting our orbit?"

He came back to the circulation desk a few minutes later, a book on the moon landing and the one on space junk added to his pile.  "Let me know what you learn in those," I said, "I haven't had a chance to read them yet."  He gave me a half-smile as he scanned his books.

Will he read them over Spring Break?  I don't know...but my half of the battle was won.

8 comments:

  1. I love the phrase “Your brain needs words every day...” Glad to hear there’s a book on space junk. Back in the early nineties when I coached debate we had a space exploration topic. That’s when I learned about space junk. Adding the topic to my speech topic list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found a resource in my slice this morning, Glenda! And I think I need to add "Your brain needs words every day" on a sign in my library.

      Delete
  2. I think I'm going to borrow that phrase! I feel like this guy will be coming back to tell you all about Space Junk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh, I wish all of us read every day! We all need words for our brains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that phrase and will steal it for one of my grandsons who is not a reader. I agree with Erika and you; we all need words for our brains!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great phrase...you should be proud...I think it's going to be borrowed (or stolen) a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do ask him if he reads these books - and let us know! I bet he does. Way to stand your battleground!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Nice. Who knows he just might end up getting an engineering degree and working on future space explorations. What happened with this child in your library has to make you feel good. Love Ya, Dad.

    ReplyDelete