Saturday, March 30, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Thirty: Japangirl

We just finished a two-hour-long video chat with our Japangirl.  She is halfway through her five-year-maximum JET-ALT job , and is already researching and planning for her return back to the United States.  I think back to what I was doing at the age of twenty-five...

Japangirl:  Budget plans for next three years
Me at 25:  Sale at Target!   

Japangirl:  Paying the bills AND saving for the future
Me at 25:  Paying the bills and...sale at Target!

Japangirl:  Unsure of what job to pursue back in the U.S. (but in possession of a variety of great future-ready skills), already gearing up for the job hunt
Me at 25:  Unsure of whether or not I had the fortitude to keep teaching  (but in possession of...teaching skills, not really valued in the 80s-90s), no clue what I could or should pursue

Japangirl:  Fully bilingual in Japanese and English
Me at 25:  In possession of excellent...English skills

Japangirl:  Living abroad, traveling, maintaining great friendships from high school and beyond
Me at 25:  Living in my college city, traveling only to visit family, friendships mainly with colleagues and occasional phone calls/ letters with high school and college friends

Japangirl:  Pursuing musical and art hobbies
Me at 25:  Some crocheting here and there, some baking...nothing really connecting me with others

I'd like to think that in some ways, I was the same--hardworking, responsible, kind to others.  But in many ways, she is far more well-rounded and mature than I feel even now!  And I couldn't be more proud.

Way to go, Japangirl.  Keep up the good work; we look forward to having you back home in a few years.

5 comments:

  1. Clever structure to compare your daughter to yourself at the same age. She sounds driven, focused, organized, and also able to enjoy life and get so much out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a clever format, comparing and contrasting the yesteryou to Japangirl. She sounds like she has forward-leaning priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like she’s having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right there with you. Our work is done as parents when the kids are smarter and more well-rounded than ourselves, right?
    ... Right? Please tell me that I'm right . . .

    ReplyDelete