Wednesday, March 27, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Twenty-seven: Fun at any age


Camp Write-a-Long is in full swing at my school, and I was honored to be the guest reader of the prompt above on Tuesday morning.  I promised to try my own hand at a response, to be subjected to the students' critique after posting.  Here goes...


I didn't want to turn eighteen.  I cried the night before my birthday, because I was afraid of being an adult, with all the vexing responsibilities that grown-ups have, worries that would replace all feelings of the hopeful, carefree moments of my youth.  

I was afraid that I would forget how to play and have fun.

In some ways, my fears came true.  I worked really hard in college and through my first years of teaching, too tired to go to many parties.  My weekends were spent catching up on sleep and schoolwork.  And truthfully, it's hard sometimes as a teacher to really let loose and have fun, because you worry about your students and their parents seeing you and how they might view you as a professional afterward.

Then I had children, and I re-learned how to play.  My home was filled with toys and Play-Doh and Legos, dolls and cars and craft supplies.  We went to a playground every week, had playdates with friends, and took field trips to zoos and museums.  Having small children can be really fun, when you join in on the playtime!

But children grow up, and start playing more with their own friends.  I was back to working hard at my job, and working hard at home taking care of my family and chores. Sometimes I would stop and realize that I needed to have more fun.  I even read books about the importance of play, looking for ideas on how to have fun.

I realize now that the definition of fun can change as we get older.  I have fun creating picture collage cards with a group that meets monthly.  I have fun volunteering at the hospital, rocking  and feeding newborn babies when they're fussy.  I have fun meeting my friends for lunch, or sitting on the porch and just talking.  I especially have fun reading!  There may not be as many parties, or toys, or nights out dancing, but I'm still enjoying myself.  No matter how old I get, I will find ways to fit fun in my life. 


So, my fourth grade writers, how did I do?  I'm looking forward to my plus/ delta chart, and reading some of your responses, too!  --Ms Margocs 

3 comments:

  1. You did great! Love the way you take us through your adult life and how you realized focusing on fun looks differently depending on what life stage you are in. Reading your post, I'm realizing I haven't been focusing on having fun, and probably should... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you showed the 4th graders and us a great lesson on how fun changes. I also enjoyed you sharing your vulnerability about fearing 18, because I'm guessing some of the 10-year olds you teach can't wait to be 18.

    ReplyDelete