Thursday, March 21, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Twenty-one: Ecclesiastes 3 in a day

1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:

2 a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
3 a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to throw away;
7 a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.

--Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8, NRSV

*********************
--Yesterday, 3/20/19, My upside-down version

War on TV, peace in our backyard
A kiss from my husband, a friend packing to leave
Alone in the house, talking to neighbors
Papers torn, no mending to be done
Photos downloaded, some deleted
Seeking solace, losing my resolve
Hugging my friend, not embracing the changes
Moving stones in the garden
Mourning a loss, no music today
Sobbing for thirty minutes, laughing over memories
Breaking through packed dirt and fertilizing soil
Thoughts of killing pests to heal my plants
Seeds sown and flowers planted, weeds pulled and dead stems trimmed
Baby spiders, the loss of a neighborhood pet

Delight, hate, love, loss, despair, hope in one day.
Almost too much to bear. 

3 comments:

  1. Some days seem to be filled with more contrasts than others... or maybe we are more aware on some days. The Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 passage is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turn was my one little word a few years ago. It was a word I needed as there were many turns in my life that year. The best thing I took from that year, is that when we turn, we see something different. Hope your day turns around for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a slice I wrote years ago about my best friend/neighbor moving http://www.teachersforteachers.net/?p=3588. I love how you used the song as a scaffold. Your heart will heal and remember -- it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

    ReplyDelete