Monday, March 25, 2019

SOLSC '19 Day Twenty-five: Quiet break

First day back to work after Spring Break, so you know what the main topic of discussion will be this week.

"How was your break?  What did you do?"

Me?  I did quiet.  Lots and lots of quiet.

Quiet mornings, sipping coffee, writing and reading Slices.  

Monday was punctuated by a lively lunch with old friends and some raucous radio-sing-along in the car to and from the restaurant, but otherwise quiet.

Tuesday found me back at school for five hours, catching up on work in the quiet of the library.  I played mellow 70s music for a time, but even turned that off after awhile.

Wednesday, gardening.  Thursday, some spring decorating.  Friday, taxes; I started to play music, but turned that off quickly.  Saturday morning was spent running an errand with hubby, Saturday afternoon in the quiet of the newborn nursery, where the squeak of my sneakers seemed harsh.

Yesterday I played catch-up a bit and needed some energy, so I put some CDs on shuffle as I did laundry and test-administration-prep modules.  I watched some PBS travel shows while I made lunches for the week, then dinner.  Even then, the energy was subdued, as the week has been.  It wasn't unwelcome.

This isn't the first quiet spring break I've had, and it makes me wonder about post-break Mondays of the past.  It often felt as if I was dragging myself to work...but now I wonder if it was just the quiet I was trying to bring back, the lovely sense of calm that I wanted to continue.  My true introverted self, floating in a peaceful bubble, not wanting it to burst.  

On an elementary campus, with nine weeks to go and testing season in full swing, can I make the quiet last? 

Will this feeling even make it through today, at our district librarians' meeting?  Or will I feel the pressure to be an extrovert, and tune into the chatter and energy of those around me, like switching radio stations from Muzak to heavy metal?  

I guess I'll find out in two-and-a-half hours.  Until then, I'm enjoying these last moments of quiet.

6 comments:

  1. Quiet time is such a gift. I crave it. It's so nice that you had such a quiet spring break. You will have the energy you need to close out the year. We only have 8 weeks left and I know how quickly these weeks will fly by. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope the energy is there, Margaret! I noticed that quite a few of us were subdued today, so I didn't feel the need to act the extrovert. The school was even mostly quiet when I arrived after my meeting for yet another meeting online.

      Delete
  2. Funny... how moving out of the full-time classroom still reminds me about how life changes so dramatically...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, from one setting to the next, and from break back to work.

      Delete
  3. I've been reading a bit on "being a healing presence" and the value of stillness, of silence - this is where my mind went as I read your slice. I think we do not get near enough such pockets; the carving-out of quiet, still time is so hard. Energy conservation is good - subdued now for more stamina later. Hope your meeting went well (and I am so intrigued by your service in the newborn nursery, where the squeak of a sneaker sounds harsh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several librarians spoke today about the need for quiet at home after a busy day in the library; seems we have quite a few ambiverts among us. The newborn nursery seemed especially quiet during my weekend shift, only a couple of babies in at a time to allow their mamas to shower or rest. For some reason, my normally quiet shoes squeaked on some parts of the floor, putting my nerves on edge each time!

      Delete