Thursday, March 8, 2018

SOLSC '18 Day Eight: Dreams of youth, Part One

I am desperately trying to stick to my theme of flight-flying-looking up for this year's Slice of Life Story Challenge, and after seven days I'm beginning to realize how difficult it may be to do so without seeming redundant.

I don't know what made me think of the list this early morning--though during this March writing challenge, I often pray at night for inspiration to strike upon waking, being one of the "pantster" writers as one of our fellow bloggers, Ramona, described on Day One.  I'm grateful for the Muse that had me digging through a crowded bookshelf behind my couch in semi-darkness, willing my fingers to wrap around a box I haven't touched in years.

The box holds a journal that was gifted to me in 1981.  It's beautiful, with watercolor roses on the cover and filled with cream-colored parchment paper. The entries are sporadic, sometimes years between writings, and the journal is over half-empty.  I didn't want to look at any entry but the remembered list, because I know the book holds some of my highest highs and lowest lows. Those memories are best revisited in broad daylight with a good cup of coffee and a fully awake perspective that only age and experience can bring.  

Without further ado, here's the list:
Notice the date; I wrote this just a week over thirty years ago.  So where am I now, relative to this to-do list?  Two years into my fifties, and
  • I have yet to go scuba diving...and I'm not really sure I even want to anymore.
  • I do have a motorcycle, and halfway learned to ride it, but haven't practiced in years.  Motorcycle manuals are still sitting on the floor by my bed.
  • I married a guy who used to work on F-4 jets; does that count?
  • I did talk to an Army National Guard recruiter thirty years ago, but my father and brother talked me out of joining. 
  • I am thinking about getting my doctorate in Library Science, but I'm certainly past the artificial deadline I set for myself thirty years ago!
What happened during the past thirty years that not only deferred, but changed these dreams?  I'll ponder that question today and save the answer for tomorrow's Slice.

2 comments:

  1. How amazing to be able to return to a list you wrote over 30 years ago! Your writing about the notebook itself is especially beautiful. I connected to the lines about not wanting to revisit the old notebook right now and that gorgeous line about revisiting in the daylight with the "fully awake perspective." I agree that it's tough to stick to a theme without becoming redundant. I'm loosely trying to stick to a theme of trying out different formats each day, which is fun, but at this point, I'm longing to write a little piece of prose and call it a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth. As I was looking for the list in the pages, I caught sight of some entries that I knew would stir sad and angry memories; no sense stoking those fires at five a.m. I like your goal of trying different formats each day, but I could see how that would be daunting, with 31 days to fill!

      Delete