Saturday, March 17, 2018

SOLSC '18 Day Seventeen: 'Tis a great day to be Irish

I have a lot of thoughts swirling in my head regarding Saint Patrick's Day, and can't seem to settle on just one for a worthy piece of prose...so pardon today's mish-mosh of ideas.

My surname may not reflect it, but my matrilineal heritage is Irish.  While I was growing up, each March would bring Hallmark cards with clover and leprechauns to our mailbox from my mother's parents, brother, aunts and uncles.  Today, I will send electronic holiday greetings to my family.

I am a lover of potatoes, in all forms...but who isn't?

Seamus, the leprechaun, has once again visited our house.  This time he left 44 gold chocolate coins for my son to find.

I love Celtic lore.  Stories of fairies, leprechauns, and sacred spaces which come alive at certain seasons of the year are fascinating.  I feel the connection with nature, a sense of wonder, the willingness to accept that which cannot be explained, and the presence of the Divine through these tales.

My favorite morning prayer is "The Breastplate of Saint Patrick."  It is long, but I've prayed it so often that I have it memorized.  There are many versions, but this is the one I recite:

I arise today
Through the strength of heaven; 
Light of the sun,
Radiance of the moon,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea, 
Stability of the earth,
Firmness of the rock. 

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me, 
God's wisdom to guide me, 
God's eye to look before me, 
God's ear to hear me, 
God's word to speak for me, 
God's hand to guard me, 
God's way to lie before me, 
God's shield to protect me, 
God's hosts to save me 
From snares of the devil, 
From every one who desires me ill, 
Afar or near, 
Alone or in a multitude. 

Christ with me, Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, 
Christ on my right, Christ on my left, 
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, 
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me, 
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me, 
Christ in the eye that sees me, 
Christ in the ear that hears me. 
Amen.

I am always wearing green--my clover and triquetra and owl tattoos cover that tradition.  Twenty-nine years ago today, my husband proposed to me with an emerald ring.  It goes well with my green-painted fingernails.

I'll close this muddled post with a well known Irish blessing:

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
May the rain fall soft upon your fields
And, until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

17 comments:

  1. So many ideas and thoughts in here. I feel like you have the fodder for about 10 more slices! Thanks for sharing the Breastplate of St Patrick - I'd never read it before. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've written about most of them already, Amanda; after several years of slicing, I had a hard time not repeating an entire post! Glad you like the prayer; it is an empowering one, to be sure.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sentiments! Thank you for the prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Mrs. Loboda! Top o' the mornin' to ya'!

      Delete
  3. how fun!
    I do love the name seamus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a name befitting a leprechaun, don't you think? Our college-son still has fun hunting for the coins. Bet they'll be eaten by dinner!

      Delete
  4. So much to love here: yes, potatoes. I live in Idaho, where life is all about potatoes. Love the Irish prayer. We're heading to Ireland this summer, and I'm taking this prayer w/ me. Also, love your blog photo background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, a trip to Ireland is on my bucket list! I hope you blog about your trip with lots of photos!

      Delete
    2. Indeed, I will. We’re doung two week self-driving tour so will see much of Ireland.

      Delete
  5. Your post is full of richness, your heritage, the song, the prayer. I am now singing "I arise today" in my head, such a beautiful hymn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I have yet to hear the prayer set to song. Thanks for the tip; heading over to Youtube now!

      Delete
  6. The Irish Blessing has always been one of my favorites. The prayer you share today is interesting; not being religious, I especially like the first stanza. There is so much richness in the Irish culture...thank you for sharing some new insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story behind it is interesting, too, Barbara. Supposedly, St Patrick was leading his followers across the countryside when a band of anti-Christian soldiers was spotted coming their way. St Patrick recited this prayer, and when they arrived, all the soldiers saw was a herd of deer, which they left untouched.

      Delete
  7. I feel blessed just reading your post! Love the mish mash of ideas and the stories/traditions/prayers you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs. Scannell. Hopefully, my blog post tomorrow will have a bit more form than just this stream-of-consciousness St Patty's Day newsletter, ha!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the lovely Irish prayer and blessings. How good to remember the love of Christ on a day that often is just a reason for people to get drunk. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’ve never heard that prayer. Thank you for sharing. 💚

    ReplyDelete