Wednesday, March 21, 2018

SOLSC '18 Day Twenty-one: It takes teamwork


"Write about why working in a group or team can be beneficial. Explain the ways working as a team can be good."

By most standard examples of teams, they didn't stand a chance at competition.  The team members had little in common, except for their grade level and the same twenty books they all read over the last twelve months.  Only one had competed before; the rest were new to the game.  They were chosen because they made the top scores on an individual quiz over the books.  There were no scheduled practices, no strategy other than assigning each team member five books to review before the competition, with just one week to study.

The big day arrived.  Over thirty elementary schools were represented in the middle school gym for the eighth annual Battle of the Bluebonnets.  Each team of four huddled around their school's sign, and prepared to answer multiple choice questions about the twenty Bluebonnet Award nominee books.  After giving some last minute reminders--"Share the Plickers card!  Whisper your thinking!" and wishing them good luck, I went back to my seat on the other side of the gym.  I watched as they discussed the questions, and noticed the ease at which they decided on the answers.  They were calm except when celebrating their correct answers.  At the end of the first round, they tied with four other teams for the top score; the first round of tiebreakers knocked them out of the running--but in a three-way tie for third place.

How did they do so well?  I can think of several reasons.  Each student was on his or her best behavior; they were polite and respectful of each other.  Each student brought his or her own strength of knowledge of their assigned books, and they trusted each other's expertise.  They also trusted the experience of the team member who had participated in this contest before.

Working as a team can bring out the best in people.  We can lean on each other's strengths to solve problems that might be hard to work out on our own.  Because everyone comes to the team with different viewpoints and different experiences, we learn from each other, too--and that knowledge can help us in other areas of our lives, with other problems we have to solve.  Everyone wins when we work as a team, even if the team loses the game, because we all benefit from the relationships and the learning we gain in the process.

**********
Half of our fourth grade classes are in Writing Camp this week.  On Tuesday morning, I was privileged to deliver the writing prompt of the day.  I promised the students that I would write about the prompt as well, and share my post with their teachers so the classes could critique my writing.  Here's hoping I pass with flying colors!

6 comments:

  1. When I write and look at the third grade rubric there are always places that I do not meet standard... That said, I loved your story and your analysis of why the team succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Victor, the students rated me all over the map--and defended their answers. I would have received a 1 because I told a story first, instead of speaking directly to a prompt--but several students also gave me a 4 for writing well, since I did stick to the teamwork topic. I wonder what the official scorers would give me? One of the teachers admitted this was a tough topic to write a lengthy essay on.

      Delete
  2. How do I judge writing... Let me count the ways... As difficult as writing can be, so, too, can the "scoring" be. That delivered, I must say that I enjoyed reading about the Battle of the Bluebonnets and about your team and their success even though they "lost." I know there was much life learning that cannot be measured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, you are right; read my reply to Ms.Victor above. I could completely agree with the students who rated me a 1 for going off track and telling a story, no matter how related the topic. It was a good lesson for all of us, reviewing my writing as a group!

      Delete
  3. When I was in charge of the "Desert Rats" each team member was assigned to a unit. Unless they needed help, rarely, each was unique to that unit. At the mid-course eval I switched them around. They didn't like it at first, but when done it was a Wow!!! That small action made us a much better team. Thanks for jarring my memory about Team Work. Love Ya, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how topics can stir up different memories, Dad. Are you including this story in your book sequel?

      Delete