Saturday, March 3, 2018

SOLSC '18 Day Three: Birdsong alarm

Last night
I had good intentions
Setting the alarm
For a pre-dawn rising

Because I really enjoy
My quiet-alone time
Sipping my coffee
Meditating, praying

And writing
Book reviews
Personal slices
Library happenings

And now my March pieces
But it's Saturday
And the bed was warm
With no appointments to keep

So I turned off the radio
Ten minutes later
Turned off the buzzer
Rolled this way

And slept a little longer
Rolled that way
Dreamt a little more
Until the sun

And the birdsong
Beckoned my eyelids to open
My body to stretch
My smile to greet the day.

8 comments:

  1. I love waking up to nature. I live in a city now so I only get to experience it on holidays. I love my alone time too! Thanks for the poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I imagine the city sounds a bit different than our suburbs, has its own "alarms" in the morning.

      Delete
  2. Something to be said for waking up when we're ready, especially when those quiet early-morning hours beckon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Waking up when we're ready" has a nice ring to it; thanks!

      Delete
  3. I love waking up to the sun! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Bush! Of course, I was up before the alarm on Sunday; sigh.

      Delete
  4. I love this last stanza.

    And the birdsong
    Beckoned my eyelids to open
    My body to stretch
    My smile to greet the day.

    I'm starting to hear the birds in the morning. I've noticed a few robins have already made it back. I look forward to morning when that is the sound that once again beckons me to wake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Cathy! We have plenty of birds already roosting here in Austin...but I'm usually up before they are. It was nice to wake up with them, for once!

      Delete