Thursday, March 15, 2018

SOLSC '18 Day Fifteen: Porch sitting in the morning

It's Spring Break here in central Texas, and I'm taking advantage of being home past dawn to go for walks in the sunshine.  I've had to bundle up a bit; our morning temps, while nothing like the nor'easters New England is experiencing, have been in the forties.  

It finally warmed up enough yesterday to pause on the front porch after my walk.  I hadn't had a chance to meditate yet, and I thought a few moments sitting, just listening, would suffice.

After taking a few deep breaths of the crisp air, I tuned in to the sounds of our neighborhood, and realized it wasn't as quiet as I thought. A feathered symphony was warming up in a cacophony of coos, shrieks, and trills.  Focusing on the source of the sounds, I saw grackles, bluejays, crows, doves, and a mockingbird in the distance.
(You may want to turn up your sound)

At some point, I got hungry, and went inside to make myself a yogurt parfait.  Returning to the porch, the granola crunching seemed an insult to the background birdsong.  I ate quickly, and returned to listening once more.

My vision of a perfect day starts with porch sitting and birdsong, temps just chilly enough to keep the bugs at bay, coffee in hand, no appointments to keep.


6 comments:

  1. Lovely slice. Lovely morning: "porch sitting and birdsong." I love porches... I have a friend who used to have an old Sears and Roebuck home in Leander... It had porches on three sides on first floor and on two sides on the second floor. I loved sitting in a rocker on her 2nd floor porch in the early morning, sipping coffee and watching and listening to her peacocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We drove through Leander today, Alice, to and from visiting the city of Mason. I'm glad my post prompted good memories of your friend! And peacocks...wow!

      Delete
  2. Ah... this is a lovely slice. I especially appreciate the videos! Now I just have to wait for the temperatures here to warm up enough to follow your lead - though our birds are already chattering up a storm! Porch sitting and birdsong. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be hard to give up these mornings when I head back to work in the dark on Monday. Sigh!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait until this snow melts and our temps go up. This makes me want to enjoy time outside right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll try to blow some Texas weather your way, Ashley!

      Delete