Monday, March 19, 2018

SOLSC '18 Day Nineteen: Card making duet

"Do you want to make the SoulCollage© cards tonight," he asked on Saturday, "during Dad's TV show?"

"Sure," I replied, "After I'm done in the kitchen."

Dishwasher filled, I clear a space at his computer table, and start to lay out the supplies.  Old calendars, magazines, and catalogues in bags at our feet and on the table.  A cutting mat, scissors, exacto knives, and glue at hand.

I explain that the process involves finding images that speak to him; no words allowed on the card.  He starts rummaging through the calendars; I help him tear pages from a collage clipart book.  I find pictures in two different calendars and begin cutting them out for my card.  Working side by side at the small table, we are quiet, except for the occasional request for a tool or mat.

When he is done, I tell him to take a moment and read his card, to see if he can make an "I am one who..." statement.  He defers answering, but smiles knowingly and asks about the plastic cover.  I slide his card into the sleeve and seal it, then turn back to my card for one more piece.
*********
He called from his dorm last night, asking if he had left something at home.  Looking through his bedroom, I noticed his card was not there.  I'm hoping he has it displayed on his desk at school.

Our first SoulCollage© card making session.  I'm thinking it won't be our last.
My card from our session.

9 comments:

  1. Nice bonding moment. Intrigued by the cards. Perhaps a mix of vision board and Tarot cards. Thanks for your post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very much like that, John. They can be made in response to an idea, poem, or theme, or just made in the moment like we did. You are supposed to revisit them regularly to see what those images have to say to you at that time.

      Delete
  2. This sounds interesting. I'd love to learn more about how to do this. It sounds like the two of you had a perfect evening creating together.

    This: "When he is done, I tell him to take a moment and read his card, to see if he can make an "I am one who..." statement. He defers answering, but smiles knowingly."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just Googled it. Nice! I might have to give that a try. It seems like it would work well with a poem inside.

      Delete
    2. Cathy, I'm glad you found more info! I'm fairly new to this, having only done a little over a dozen cards. But I always leave each workshop feeling calm and centered!

      Delete
  3. That's a special boy you've raised. I hope it's the first of many such moments for you. Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elsie! Yes, he is much loved and lovable. He said he had fun!

      Delete
  4. Ooh -I've never heard of a SoulCollage before, but after reading about you and your son doing this together, I looked it up. What a neat idea! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth finding a group to join, Amanda. I've made them on my own, but there's something about having a facilitated group that brings out some of my most meaningful cards.

      Delete