Friday, March 16, 2018

SOLSC '18 Day Sixteen: Metamorphosis

There have been lilies on the table before.  These were in a beautiful arrangement given to me by my husband for my birthday.  One had already opened wide, displaying freckled pink petals and bright orange stamen.  Someone had given me a tip about cutting off the stamen to avoid pollen stains; so helpful!

What I hadn't noticed before was the gradual coloring of the flower bud. The lilies started with green petals closed up tight, turning pinker by the day until they burst open.

The flowers reminded me of the monarch butterflies I raised two years ago.  I thought they had died when the beautiful green chrysalises started turning black.  What I learned was that they were actually becoming clear, showing off the butterflies about to emerge.



When I was teaching, I was tuned in to changes in my students' behavior.  Subtle shifts gave me clues about their personal and learning lives.  When the changes were hurtful or frustrating, sometimes I could intervene; sometimes, the only help I could give was to acknowledge their difficulties and be with them as they struggled.  It was often enough for them to simply be seen and heard.  Like the lily and the butterfly, I was privileged to watch them blossom and grow.



2 comments:

  1. Lovely metaphors for our students. I didn't know that tip: "cutting off the stamen to avoid pollen stains." Potted lilies always remind me of my dad and mom -- he always bought her one for Easter. I think I will get one for myself to celebrate them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has given me arrangement with lilies for years, but this was the first time I ever really noticed how the buds change color! Something about focusing on details for writing has me seeing with new eyes, it seems. I hope you do treat yourself to some lilies for this spring season!

      Delete