Sunday, March 18, 2018

SOLSC '18 Day Eighteen: The list of things I should be doing

Here is the list of things I know I should be doing, but I'm not:

1.  Eating more vegetables and less processed food.
2.  Exercising every day for at least twenty minutes.
3.  Meditating every day.  Yes, even on weekends.
4.  Stop spending money on things I don't need.
5.  Scheduling regular checkups with my doctor, dermatologist, massage therapist....
6.  Finally getting those fillings I need.
7.  Getting rid of LOTS of stuff, so that my children aren't stuck with it when I die.
8.  Spending less time on the computer.
9.  Spending more time outdoors.
10.  Reading every.  single.  day.  Yes, even on workdays.
10a.  Read the books I already own, before buying more.
11.  Meeting up with friends more often.  In real life, not just on Facebook.
12.  Saving more money.  Maybe even investing some of it, too.
13.  Making real plans for renovating our home.
14.  Finishing my children's school scrapbooks.  (They're in college and beyond, now.)
15.  Finishing the many, many crochet projects left undone.
16.  Using the art supplies I bought in earnest, then left in the bag.
17.  Sending birthday cards every month.
18.  Leaving work early enough to come home and cook and clean and read and relax, instead of just dropping my purse and plopping on the couch and falling asleep then getting up to go straight to bed.
19.  Wearing my retainer every night, not just three nights a week.
20.  Writing more thank you notes.
21.  Looking up more often, even after this writing challenge is over.

The saying goes "If you know better, you do better."

Then why am I not doing better at these things?

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I could add most of these to my list as well. Honestly, your piece helps me feel more part of humanity. You've captured the nagging feeling of 'should' in this slice, an ubiquitous feeling for me, as well. And the last line, "...why am I not doing better...?" Spot on. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me join the chorus of those who would say - oh, me too! The knowing-doing gap is a real thing. You are definitely not alone. Look though at all the things you are actually doing but are not quite satisfied with the degree. Remember to give yourself credit, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw someone do this the other day. I need to make one of these in hopes it kicks myself in gear to be doing the things I really need to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am laughing and hanging my head in shame at the same time because of these TRUTHS. Life is complicated. And short. We all have too much stuff (poor, poor kids! I have thrown some stuff way,but only after my mother-in-law's stuff began arriving!). I am so guilty of buying more books when I have a gazillion I haven't yet read. Maybe if we prioritize these lists, for the joy of crossing an item off here and there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truth, for sure. But I bet if you made a list of all the things you *are* doing, it would be much much longer. I'll try to tell myself the same thing as my list of "shoulds" echoes through my head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's crazy with how much I related to this list.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's crazy with how much I related to this list.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was composing my own list even as yours was scrolling. I think we’re all in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, I probably have 30 shoulds . . . but I'm thinking about a more focused "I will" in response! Thinking . . . so not yet doing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could have written much of this list, and spend a lot of time as well thinking about what I "should" be doing. I took a class in college about motivation and the psychology behind why we choose to do what we choose to do. I think so much of my life has become "what comes next" instead of a purposeful, in the moment decision about what to do. I'm working to change that! Good luck with your list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many of the things on your list could be on my list, too. Why is it so hard for us to do what we should be doing? :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete