Wednesday, March 14, 2018

SOLSC '18 Day Fourteen: Cloudwatching


blue skies pushing at little poufed clouds
placed adjacently in rows and columns 
by an unseen hand
like the batting between
the stitched squares of an old quilt
or dough blobs on top of a cobbler
(are we the filling, or is the sky?)

I found out these types of clouds are called stratocumulus, by visiting a resource-filled science education website hosted by the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research Center for Science Education.  

8 comments:

  1. I love how you provide the image and then add the metaphor - quilt, cobbler. The final question, seemingly an afterthought, shifts the whole thing again. I'm really glad you are letting us benefit from your discovery of stratocumulus clouds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda! If I hadn't been walking for exercise, I would have stopped to take a picture of our skies. The clouds were beautiful!

      Delete
  2. Very cool website. Just book marked it. And love your found poem. You never know where inspiration will come from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picking a theme of looking up for this challenge has made me do so more often, Christie. And yes, the website is really neat!

      Delete
  3. The image of clouds as quilt filling is evocative and beautiful. Your poem makes me think of Wordsworth and Shelley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise indeed, Glenda! Thank you; I'm blushing!

      Delete
  4. Oh, how I miss being able to be outdoors in the afternoons and cloudwatch. I loved the description of the clouds being placed adjacently in rows and columns - it did bring to mind a pie crust, perfect for Pi Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am gathering lots of sunshine this week, Ashley; back to work on Monday.

      Delete