Tuesday, March 27, 2018

SOLSC '18 Day Twenty-seven: Past experience, present attitudes

An interesting topic was broached by a fellow librarian at our monthly meeting yesterday.  Having finished with our assigned committee topics, she asked about our memories of libraries from our formative years.  

I mentioned that I was in my high school library club--a quick, positive answer that elicited a few laughs.  Answers from others were not so favorable.  Stories of libraries as dark places, with librarians who were cross, nervous, overprotective of the collection (one librarian made her students wear gloves--in a school library, not archival!) were shared across the table.  A few positive stories were told as well--librarians who created safe spaces for us and encouraged our curiosity.

The librarian who initiated the discussion suggested that our teachers may have similar negative memories of their libraries, and that may make them hesitant to participate more fully in our library programs.  My own teachers must have great memories, because I am blessed to have a wonderfully supportive staff on my campus, but I can see how previous experience could impact a current teacher-librarian relationship.

Perhaps this is a discussion we could bring up at the beginning of the year, during our inservice time that we (hopefully) get with our staff.  We could reiterate that first and foremost, our libraries are welcoming, safe spaces for all members of our learning community.  When that comfort level is achieved, true collaboration and learning can occur.

A chocolate stash for teachers at the circulation desk helps with those relationships, too. 

13 comments:

  1. Our elementary school library was a re-purposed coat room. Long, skinny, and narrow. One shelf per grade for first, second, and third grade. And then the shelves that were only for teachers. Dark and dingy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me soooo sad, Fran! Thankful that my library is full of windows and light, and big enough to hold two classes at once and then some.

      Delete
  2. We did not have a library in my elementary school, but I had teachers w/ small classroom libraries. I’d sit in the floor and read and look for the latest Bobsy Twin title.

    In high school the library was in the center of the school and open at the front, which had a student seating area surrounded by halls on three sides. It was a noisy place. I think it made the librarian skittish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our library is noisy, Glenda, but usually joyfully so (we do have our "Pipe it down!" moments). Our high school libraries are modern looking and host a variety of activities spearheaded by the librarians. And every elementary has a library; every campus has a certified librarian!

      Delete
  3. I was a reader before YA was a thing.

    I often think back to the librarians of my youth and wonder what they thought as I checked out a towering stack of Harlequins as a seventh grader.

    It makes me laugh as I imagine it, but I appreciate the fact that no one ever said a word to me about it. It was a safe place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to the Harlequin reading, Pamela; my mother had one going in every room of the house, and I read my share of hers! Glad your library memory is a good one.

      Delete
  4. There was a great library in my elementary school, and a Book Mobile that drove around once a month, and we had a public library in our small town. As a kid I never appreciated how lucky we were...just thought it was normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, you could write a picture book about all the ways to find a book, based on your childhood!

      Delete
  5. You know, I don't have many memories of the school library at all. We almost never went there. Too bad, really. But I will bring this up with our current librarian (she's awesome) as one of the reasons our school is struggling to re-envision the library as a learning commons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your library memories are few in number, Amanda. My number one priority is making students feel welcome and safe to explore in the library. A discussion between the librarian and your staff sounds like a great idea.

      Delete
  6. Gotta love that chocolate! I have great childhood memories of our small town library... a Carnegie Library. I rode my bike there with my brothers every week and checked out my limit. I remember the steps we had to climb up to the huge front doors... and how the floor creaked and my brothers whispered (they never whispered anywhere else). I can't say that I remember the librarians, though. I was always in the stacks... finding my books. I don't think we had a school library back then... ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a timely post! I was just thinking about the amazing librarian who helped me fall in love with reading when I was a child. She just retired this year, which is also amazing to me, since I'm 45. That's a long career! It was incredible to me how she always knew exactly the right book for me AND exactly the right book for my mother. It makes me sad that people remember cranky, cross, and shushing librarians.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you belonged to a high school library club. I'm wondering what that was like. It is funny that we all have such different memories of our libraries. They are certainly quite different from days gone by. When my kids were little I don't know where we would have been without the library. I can't really imagine anyone not wanting to spend time in a library.

    And chocolate always helps!!

    ReplyDelete