Wednesday, March 7, 2018

SOLSC '18 Day Seven: Sunrise, sunset

"Sunrise, sunset, sunrise, sunset,
Swiftly flow the days...."

I zigzag my way to work each morning to avoid major roads and traffic.  Left out of the driveway, left past the swimming pool, straight ahead to wait at the light on the edge of my neighborhood.  I cut over the busy farm-to-market road, then right onto the road behind the train station.  Another left and another right, and I'm on the street to my school.

It's on the stretch behind the train station, and the road to my school, that I drive into the sunrise each morning.  Some days it's so glorious that I stop to take a picture with my phone, standing beside my car in the school parking lot.  It makes me happy to see the rays peeking out from behind the clouds, a sign of beautiful weather for the day.

Lately, I've been seeing the sunset on these same roads.  Staying at work late for various reasons, I take pictures of bright oranges and pinks from my steering wheel, stuck in traffic behind the train station.  Equally as beautiful as the sunrise,  but with opposite feelings of frustration over long work hours that have intruded on my personal time. My walks to and from the car are the only chance I get to enjoy that beautiful weather the morning promised.

What's that saying? "All work and no play make Jill a dull girl."  I am indeed feeling tired and dull; perhaps next week's Spring Break will set my schedule aright.



  

4 comments:

  1. I like how you structured your piece - the sunrise, the sunset - the ups and downs of viewing them in a day. Even added a matching song! And ended with that hopeful word - Spring Break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopeful word indeed! Hoping to reset my workday boundaries while I'm at it!

      Delete
  2. I love when you say the sunset is "equally as beautiful as the sunrise" but with opposite feelings! You captured this brilliantly! Heres to your spring break and not being on your sunrise and sunset circuit for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, cindaroo! I was good and left work not long after our"official" time today; whew!

      Delete